• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Banking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banking

Just finishing a 9 monther in a bank in Edinburgh (.NET), strangley the banking sector has dried up, wonder why?!?. Wondering if it will ruin my CV if I go work for a smaller software house or public sector, or should I hold out for another banking contract? It's a retail bank not investment.

Also im moving to London next year will my banking experience hold any weight down there?

And finally I met the girl, Heather, she really loves me and wants to get married and have kids asap, says she lost all her money after being fined by the FSA for spreading rumours, will I go down on one knee?

I suggest you try your hardest to stick to banking if that's where you want to be. I know people that had to take public sector work and found it difficult getting back into banking afterwards, though by no means impossible. Depends on the demand.

Also, as I have no banking experience, the fewer .net competitors for non-banking contracts the better!
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl View Post
      And finally I met the girl, Heather, she really loves me and wants to get married and have kids asap, says she lost all her money after being fined by the FSA for spreading rumours, will I go down on one knee?
      Did she just get divorced?
      It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post

It's not only the market that's a bit slow at the moment!
        Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post

It's not only the market that's a bit slow at the moment!

I'm slow all the time......
          It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
            Yes, do you know her? Whats she like? Seems genuine and honest to me.

Comment

Yes, do you know her? Whats she like? Seems genuine and honest to me.

Sounds like a right goer in bed. One to try the bucking bronco with. Maybe use the name "Linda".
              Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Wondering if it will ruin my CV if I go work for a smaller software house or public sector, or should I hold out for another banking contract? It's a retail bank not investment.
                Yes it will ruin your CV. You need to keep it pure and uncontaminated by non-banking dross, so stick firmly to that sector come what may. Turn everything else down. Clients do not like people who keep switching sectors. Preferably stick to looking in the same location as well. It's Better for you and clients prefer local banker types. OK, you may have to wait a year or so, but you've got enough saved to keep the wolves at bay haven't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                  Clients do not like people who keep switching sectors
                  Sadly true.

That's because the hirers are generally morons who can't grasp that IT-based problem solving skills are actually transferable between one market and another.

"It's all Business Knowledge! Don'tcha know?" Is it flip! Most of their sacred and jealously-guarded 'business knowledge' could be digested by a bright 11 year old on a wet Tuesday afternoon.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Just finishing a 9 monther in a bank in Edinburgh (.NET), strangley the banking sector has dried up, wonder why?!?. Wondering if it will ruin my CV if I go work for a smaller software house or public sector, or should I hold out for another banking contract? It's a retail bank not investment.

Also im moving to London next year will my banking experience hold any weight down there?

In contracting it is generally easier to move between sectors.

London - depends if you want to work in retail or investment. IBs look down at other sectors - in 21.5 years I have never worked out why. I suppose its cos you have to get used to working with total morons.

Don't go down on one knee - get her to go down on both.

Comment

Working...
                    X