• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job cuts in the City - Doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job cuts in the City - Doom

Well forget the 10,000 "mild bleeding" reports several weeks ago; seems like a major bloodbath is in the offing.

30000 job cuts

....or will it just be the traders?
    I'm alright Jack

...others will only recruit executives who can add value...
    As opposed to hiring blethering idiots? Shame those days have gone, bang go my chances of breaking into finance.

Comment

This can only be a good thing for contractors - who are hired back sooner than permies...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Contracting is usually the first industry into a recession and the first out of it.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          Contracting is usually the first industry into a recession and the first out of it.
          true true. but this time might be different. IT was worst hit in dot-com-bust. I am not convinced it will be the same.

Oh I do wish the on-shoring would start - at some point companies must realize it is a false economy?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            true true. but this time might be different. IT was worst hit in dot-com-bust. I am not convinced it will be the same.
            Do you really think that IT will be hit less when not just only IT companies get hit for six, but also all other companies? If anything the downturn should be worse - I am not saying this because I like it, heck I'd prefer to have no recession and no downturn, but it's just the way it looks like at the moment.

Comment

Well, the only contractors left are me and my team (we are involved in security) on the floor I work on. Pretty much everyone else has gone in cut backs already!

Now, if only they'd get rid of the incompetent permy senior managers we might actually be able to get somewhere!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
                Well, the only contractors left are me and my team (we are involved in security) on the floor I work on. Pretty much everyone else has gone in cut backs already!

Now, if only they'd get rid of the incompetent permy senior managers we might actually be able to get somewhere!

Mailman
                What floor is that - the ground floor, just by the doors?
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                  He has a hat you know! and a uniform.
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                    Haha...actually just out the front of the foor!

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                    X