• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank Card Fraud - Like this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank Card Fraud - Like this?

Someone I know was shocked to discover around £900 missing from their bank account over the weekend, apparently spent at Tesco (on-line) using their maestro (switch) card, which hasn't been stolen. They're wondering how this could have happened, and suspected a trojan on their PC pinched their details. They did mention that the most recent valid transaction on the card was for a pizza delivery.

It seems to me that if you call for a takeaway, you give the company your name, address, card number, expiry date and CVC (last 3 digits on the signature strip). So a dishonest employee could pass on these details.

This is the same information as is needed to make an on-line purchase.

If the delivery address cannot be linked to you, and you can arrange to be there to accept delivery of the goods (groceries), then this seems the most likely explanation for what happened.

Is this a reasonable guess at what happened?

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Someone I know was shocked to discover around £900 missing from their bank account over the weekend, apparently spent at Tesco (on-line) using their maestro (switch) card, which hasn't been stolen. They're wondering how this could have happened, and suspected a trojan on their PC pinched their details. They did mention that the most recent valid transaction on the card was for a pizza delivery.

It seems to me that if you call for a takeaway, you give the company your name, address, card number, expiry date and CVC (last 3 digits on the signature strip). So a dishonest employee could pass on these details.

This is the same information as is needed to make an on-line purchase.

If the delivery address cannot be linked to you, and you can arrange to be there to accept delivery of the goods (groceries), then this seems the most likely explanation for what happened.

Is this a reasonable guess at what happened?

Yep.

It starting to get more secure now with online shopping, Visa have recently intorduced a password system for online purchases, but it's a slow process.....

Comment

Pay cash.

HTH

RW

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        use dominoes online pizza order service or pay by cash.
        I would trust any of those guys (who are paid literally feck all) with my card details.

The online service has the benefits of:
        1. it will find the best offers that match your order
        2. you don't have to repeat the order 3 times to the thickest and deafest immigrant* in the world and then find that your order has still been messed up.

*I'm not usually against immigrants, and yes they do need some time to learn the language properly but still, I can order a pizza or KFC in Holland in English a lot easier than I can in the UK. And both the UK and Holland employ a lot of immigrants for these jobs, just we seem to get the hard of hearing retards
        Last edited by Spacecadet; 25 March 2008, 11:27.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Can they not check the delivery address? If your company-your ISP cut corners then you are prone to this kind of things. Its normally companies who want a rolls royce AV/AS solution but want to pay fiesta money.

Comment

Personally I would never give my card details to a takeaway over the phone, it's just asking for trouble......
            Still Invoicing

Comment

Err .... won't Tesco and the pizza delivery have a record of the address ?

Comment

Dominos actually print out your card number in full on the reciept - wide open to fraud

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post
                  Can they not check the delivery address?
                  Check it for what?

For all they know (and care) you're buying groceries for your poor old mum, hence the different delivery address.

And I've noticed that the condition that goods will only be delivered to the cardholder's address seems to have become very relaxed in recent times.

Comment

I think he means that even our police should be able to see who accepted the goods by checking the delivery address - unless the thief is buying goods for random people.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X