• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Labour Founder

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Labour Founder

So he's kicked the bucket then? The man who took the UK into Europe and basically started New Labour.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Grammar-Grub Grocer Gives up the Ghost

The legacy of our ivory-tickling sailor was the three-day week, locking the UK into the process of a United States of Europe by stealth, and England failing to qualify for a world cup for the first time.

John Major only achieved two out of three, so this makes Heath the worst Tory PM in living memory.

Comment

Terrible Tory Ted Turns up his Toes

I just thought of another one.

Comment

Hapless Heath Has Had His chips

And another

Comment

Greatest Tory

Okay, given that this board is mainly Tory in its sympathy, and clearly Ted Heath doesn't hold much of a place in your hearts, who was the best Tory leader/PM?
          Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
            Okay, given that this board is mainly Tory in its sympathy, and clearly Ted Heath doesn't hold much of a place in your hearts, who was the best Tory leader/PM?
            The Earl of Bute. Successfully concluded the Seven Years War and opposed additional cider taxes. Top bloke.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
              The Earl of Bute. Successfully concluded the Seven Years War and opposed additional cider taxes. Top bloke.
              When I said 'Tory', perhaps I should have been a little more specific! Whigs & Tories....

Lucifer, once again your knowledge of obscure facts is both impressive and slightly worrying. Do you enter a lot of pub quiz nights?

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
                When I said 'Tory', perhaps I should have been a little more specific! Whigs & Tories....

Lucifer, once again your knowledge of obscure facts is both impressive and slightly worrying. Do you enter a lot of pub quiz nights?
                Technically speaking the last Tory PM was the Earl of Aberdeen who left office in 1855. The last Whig PM was Viscount Melbourne who left office in 1841. The first Conservative PM in the modern sense was the Earl of Derby, but strictly speaking only in the last of his three terms (1866-8).

Not, really, no. The last pub quiz I was in was in 1999 in an Irish theme bar behind the Egyptian Embassy in Amman. I won the most putrid bottle of wine I've ever had the mispleasure to drink. By a bizarre coincidence, I'm going to to my first one since then this Thursday.

To save anyone else the bother, zzzzzzzzzzz....

Comment

Lucifer, I'll have to rely on your honesty....do you genuinely know the stuff you post or is the result of a quick google search?

I'll modify the question....who is/was the best Conservative leader/MP?

Comment

I knew the Earl of Bute was the first Tory PM. The others I looked up.

Comment

Working...
                    X