• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unfair Contract ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfair Contract ?

Marriage rates have fallen to the lowest level since records began, according to figures released today.

Provisional figures for 2006 published by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) reveal the number of marriages fell 4 per cent to 236,980 compared to the previous year.

The marriage rate for men over 16 was 22.8 per 1,000, and for women 20.5; the lowest rate since 1862.

As a commited Batchelor the above figures come as no surprise - so why the cold feet over Marraige - too many horror stories of gold diggers - alimony etc ???

A quick google gives you a fair chuck of info to read,

http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad....e_marriag.html
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
      As a commited Batchelor the above figures come as no surprise - so why the cold feet over Marraige - too many horror stories of gold diggers - alimony etc ???
      I think you should put your question in the Ask Brillopad thread....
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The erosion of the underlying Christian faith and the lack of stigma over children born out of wedlock I would imagine.
        As well as the Gov't reducing the economic benefit of getting married now you can just live together and get state benefits as if you were married.
        Plus the humongous cost of the ceremony itself.
        It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

As a bloke there doesn't seem to be many positives to getting married. I think most marriages are driven by the women and their non-stop nagging till the bloke gives in and agrees.

Then again aren't the gold diggers still onto a winner as soon as they move in and become common law wives? Unless you keep a rent book on their behalf.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
            Marriage rates have fallen to the lowest level since records began, according to figures released today.

Provisional figures for 2006 published by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) reveal the number of marriages fell 4 per cent to 236,980 compared to the previous year.

The marriage rate for men over 16 was 22.8 per 1,000, and for women 20.5; the lowest rate since 1862.

How closely does the wording in the contract reflect the actual working conditions though?
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
              How closely does the wording in the contract reflect the actual working conditions though?

No ROS for a start.......

Comment

As each partner can simply walk away from a common law marriage - I think that is the clincher. Imagine if Macca was only in common law to the bottom scraper - she would get nothing, could not ask for anything. The only person that would get cash would be the child.

Yeah my wife is having to deal with a recent case of a split common law couple. very messy splitting the three properties they jointly own. Then there's the one which in trust...very messy.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
                  No ROS for a start.......
                  Well screw that...
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                    As each partner can simply walk away from a common law marriage - I think that is the clincher. Imagine if Macca was only in common law to the bottom scraper - she would get nothing, could not ask for anything. The only person that would get cash would be the child.

Yeah my wife is having to deal with a recent case of a split common law couple. very messy splitting the three properties they jointly own. Then there's the one which in trust...very messy.

I thought the law was changed recently to give common law partners the same rights as married couples?

Comment

Working...
                    X