• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NLP - BS or Psycological Skills for Influencing People?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NLP - BS or Psycological Skills for Influencing People?

Anyone here "into" NLP ?

I'd be interested in your view as to whether its bulltulip, or a valuable people skill.

I'm wondering if I can be bothered to read a book on it

Edit: NLP = Neuro-Linguistic Programming

One definition here from an NLP site:
    NLP is a multi-dimensional process that involves the development of behavioural competence and flexibility, but also involves strategic thinking and an understanding of the mental and cognitive processes behind behaviour. NLP provides tools and skills for the development of states of individual excellence, but it also establishes a system of empowering beliefs and presuppositions about what human beings are, what communication is and what the process of change is all about. At another level, NLP is about self-discovery, exploring identity and mission. It also provides a framework for understanding and relating to the 'spiritual' part of human experience that reaches beyond us as individuals to our family, community and global systems. NLP is not only about competence and excellence, it is about wisdom and vision.

More pragmatically, it seems to be about getting what you want by influencing others.
    Last edited by Platypus; 27 March 2008, 09:25.

At one of the courses I did when I were but a lad just out of school, they taught us about how to get people to do stuff they really would prefer not to. I catch myself using nearly all the tricks occasionally and would prefer not to, but it gets the job done, and I can get back to surfin'.

Yes, I would say these psycho tricks absolutely do work. Dunno what this NLP is tho'.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

We covered this before in another thread. NLP is usually overhyped but has a number of useful techniques for influencing people using language (both verbal and body). Deffo worth reading a book on, but probably not more than that.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Look into my eyes, not around the eyes........

Comment

Isn't this what Derren Brown does?

Makes good telly.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Isn't this what Derren Brown does?

Makes good telly.
            It is to an extent, although DB needs the right sort of person for his stuff, usually 1 in a hundred, hence the huge auditions he does for some of his specials.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

I've seen mention of it in a few sales and marketing training books I've read. haven't got round to fully investigating it yet - it's on the to-do list though.
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I reckon rapport gained through 'mirroring' is an extremely good tool to use - I have a number of examples where this has been used to amazing effect - both in business and personal life.

T

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
                  I reckon rapport gained through 'mirroring' is an extremely good tool to use

Doesn't work on me, no-one's ugly enough to mirror me.

Unfortunately that also means it doesn't work for me either, unless I'm hanging around a club at ten-to-two on a saturday night.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    At one of the courses I did when I were but a lad just out of school, they taught us about how to get people to do stuff they really would prefer not to. I catch myself using nearly all the tricks occasionally and would prefer not to, but it gets the job done, and I can get back to surfin'.

Care to share a few examples with us?
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X