• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobiles on aircraft

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobiles on aircraft

The use of mobiles on planes flying in European airspace has been given approval by UK regulator Ofcom.

Linky.

What an awful idea - it's bad enough on a train, but the thought of getting stuck on a plane for a few hours with some annoying prat rabbitting "Hi, yah, I'm on the plane..." at high volume...

Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

I'm pretty sure this isn't coming about because of consumer demand - no one I know pretty much wants this, so where the f cuk is the driver for it coming from .. I wonder?
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I'm seriously considering getting hold of one of those (highly illegal) jammer thingies to try out on the train. Wouldn't dare use it on a plane at 35000ft though!

Comment

I agree, it's not good news that. "Hi, it's me... had a slight delay at the airport, blah, blah"

Also gotta love the morons who board the "mobile free" coaches on trains and still continue to use their mobile until someone points out the signs to them.

Just wait till they wire up the tubes as well
        Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

The demand is coming from the fact that making/receiving a call in a plane is going to cost 10x normal tariff.

So the demand is from the airlines and telecoms companies.

Comment

No one in their right mind would want this. It's definitely an earner - leave your phone on and receive texts which cost you £2.00 each - like getting a text abroad, the receiver pays. Airlines like Ryanair must be rubbing their hands.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              The demand is coming from the fact that making/receiving a call in a plane is going to cost 10x normal tariff.

So the demand is from the airlines and telecoms companies.
              Sarcasm is clearly your strong suit DP ;-)
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Or maybe the government just wants an easy way to track everybody.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                  Or maybe the government just wants an easy way to track everybody.....
                  Possibly. But then again, we all need protecting from ourselves don't we.
                  Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    No one in their right mind would want this. It's definitely an earner - leave your phone on and receive texts which cost you £2.00 each - like getting a text abroad, the receiver pays. Airlines like Ryanair must be rubbing their hands.
                    from what i understand, phones will have to be switched off when the seatbelt signs are on, so leaving your phone switched on by accident will truely be your own fault.

And when do you pay to receive a text abroad? you have no control over receiving or not receiving texts (except for switching your phone off) and so the phone companies can't charge you...
                    ... or at least i have never been charged to receive a text abroad (vodaphone and O2), only to send them.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X