• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interest rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest rates

Howard Archer, chief UK and European economist at Global Insight, said: "We now expect the Bank of England to trim interest rates by a further 25 basis points, to 5% in April rather than May. Further out, we expect interest rates to fall to 4.5% by the end of the year and to 4% in the first half of 2009, as we believe that extended below-trend growth will eventually significantly undermine companies' pricing power and limit wage growth, thereby diluting underlying inflation pressures."

Get a tracker mortgage if you need one.

Don't bother saving.

0% by 2010.

Doomed.

HTH

Didn't I see somewhere that trackers are being withdrawn and mortgage rates are actually going up in the face of lower base rates (through the withdrawal of the discounted mortgages)?

Or did I dream that?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

My 3yr fixes are up in 2009. Boomed!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Howard Archer, chief UK and European economist at Global Insight, said: "We now expect the Bank of England to trim interest rates by a further 25 basis points, to 5% in April rather than May. Further out, we expect interest rates to fall to 4.5% by the end of the year and to 4% in the first half of 2009, as we believe that extended below-trend growth will eventually significantly undermine companies' pricing power and limit wage growth, thereby diluting underlying inflation pressures."

Get a tracker mortgage if you need one.

Don't bother saving.

0% by 2010.

Doomed.

HTH
        Yipee,

That's another 5% on all the Euro sitting in the bank from the current contract wating for me to transfer home.

tim

Comment

It doesn't matter if the BoE drops rates, the banks won't be offering cheap mortgages again for a long time
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            It doesn't matter if the BoE drops rates, the banks won't be offering cheap mortgages again for a long time
            The deals out there are sh*t at the moment no decent trackers at all, check out Northern Rocks great two year fixed rate 7.29%.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
              The deals out there are sh*t at the moment no decent trackers at all, check out Northern Rocks great two year fixed rate 7.29%.

I got an offset mortgage(no fee) with First Direct at 5.5% a month ago. Reverts to 6.5% tracking their SVR after 9 months. The Abbey were charging me 7.8%!!

Comment

Working...
              X