• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

thats a bit harsh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats a bit harsh

I thought the labour response to David Camerons statement on a new economic strategy was a bit strong:

Mr Cameron cited problems encountered by pharmaceutical and technology firms in his Witney and West Oxfordshire constituency as examples of ways in which transport links could be improved.

"Witney doesn't have a railway station and is connected to the nearest city, Oxford, by just a single-carriage road," the Tory leader said.

"Local businesses there don't just need economic stability; they don't just need lower tax and fewer regulations.

"They need the infrastructure, in the broadest sense of the word, to succeed. They need good transport links so they get their goods up and down the country and beyond."
    NL's response:

With global economic instability facing the UK, David Cameron's unfunded tax plans represent a threat to mortgage rates and jobs.

While the Labour government will always put stability first, the Tories' recklessness would put Britain's economy at risk yet again.
    More here.

I thought he had a point...

Older and ...well, just older!!

GB's idea of "stability" is do nothing and hope everything will remain the same!
    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

I'd expect Labour to start panicing soon - probably right after local elections when I hope they will get whacked - I am going to vote myself.

"Their confidence in the economy - the "feel-good factor" - has dropped to its lowest level recorded.

"Essex man", the typical family voter seen as the key to election success, in particular appears to be deserting Labour.

Increasing anxiety has left Labour trailing the Conservatives by 14 points. Some 43 per cent of people plan to vote Tory compared with 29 per cent for Labour. Seventeen per cent would vote Liberal Democrat. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...8/npoll128.xml

--------

Gordon Brown and Tony Blair (as well as other cabinet ministers) should be charged with treason by Her Majesty

Comment

They will struggle to get a real kicking in the local elections simply because they have had a big kicking in the previous 2 and so they don't have that much to lose. They are already down to pretty much their core vote, who would vote for a Labour donkey over anybody.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
          They will struggle to get a real kicking in the local elections simply because they have had a big kicking in the previous 2 and so they don't have that much to lose.
          Maybe, but they should surely get a lot worse results than before - lib dems should suffer too, so conservative gains should be much more serious than before even if drops in labour support won't be as high.

Comment

But Business Secretary John Hutton said the Conservatives would cut tax credits and rights at work.
            Nu Liebour just can't help themselves.

1. Tax credits are a mess. If the Tories just did something simple like increase the personal allowance instead the system would be cheaper to administrate.

2. Rights at work are from EU directives. If the Tories now want to opt out we have to leave the EU which is very unlikely.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              I'd expect Labour to start panicing soon - probably right after local elections when I hope they will get whacked - I am going to vote myself.

"Their confidence in the economy - the "feel-good factor" - has dropped to its lowest level recorded.

"Essex man", the typical family voter seen as the key to election success, in particular appears to be deserting Labour.

Increasing anxiety has left Labour trailing the Conservatives by 14 points. Some 43 per cent of people plan to vote Tory compared with 29 per cent for Labour. Seventeen per cent would vote Liberal Democrat. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...8/npoll128.xml

--------

Gordon Brown and Tony Blair (as well as other cabinet ministers) should be charged with treason by Her Majesty

Percentages mean zip - the key to the next election lies in voting patterns in a relatively small number of key seats. There are a significant number of seats in the UK which would vote for a donkey with a red (or for that matter blue) rosette - it's the rest that hold the key. If you live in a safe seat held by a party you don't vote for, your vote counts for zero.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                If you live in a safe seat held by a party you don't vote for, your vote counts for zero.
                Yes I understand that however a lot of people who voted for labour are turning away from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  Percentages mean zip - the key to the next election lies in voting patterns in a relatively small number of key seats. There are a significant number of seats in the UK which would vote for a donkey with a red (or for that matter blue) rosette - it's the rest that hold the key. If you live in a safe seat held by a party you don't vote for, your vote counts for zero.
                  Oi vote for your own animal and lay off my donkey!
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I can't wait to vote
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X