• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dead girl's rent 'must be paid'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead girl's rent 'must be paid'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7318220.stm

A County Armagh couple whose daughter died while at university in Liverpool have been told they must pay for her accommodation for the rest of the year.

The letting agent involved is claiming that because the girl's parents acted as guarantors on the lease, they are liable for the debt.

Sinn Féin's Mickey Brady said the agent's demand was "very unfair".

Mr Brady said the Bessbrook family had received demands for rent owed since her death and threats of legal action.

"The agent is quite clearly arguing that the young girl, because of her sudden death in January, has breached the lease agreement and is demanding that the rent be paid in full," he said.

"This is another example of ruthlessness of the worse kind, and a fixation on ensuring that the money owed will be obtained even if it has to override a family's grief.

"This family is still traumatised by the sudden death of their precious daughter and now they have to cope with the added pressure and fears of debt collectors and court cases.

"In all my years in dealing with agencies and officials, I have never come across such a totally unsympathetic attitude."

Just when I thought things couldn't sink any lower.

You might just find that after a couple of 'phone calls the family will receive a refund...

Comment

Someone will pop along to defend it ....just hang on...
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Always good to have on your side...

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        You might just find that after a couple of 'phone calls the family will receive a refund...

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
          That would pretty much seal it then.

Expect a fire at the letting agency sometime soon.

Comment

Surely the contract was with the girl (regardless of who was guarantor) once she dies, the contract dies - or am I being naive?
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Guarantor

Same goes for doing a runner, you are not liable, the guarantor is.

Comment

I almost wish the IRA was still going and that Sinn Fein would pass it over...

Comment

Scum-name and shame the agents!

Comment

Clue

'daughter died while at university in Liverpool'

Shall we start another thread on the lovely city - 'Capital of European Culture' ?

Comment

Working...
                    X