• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting Rates in Northern Ireland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting Rates in Northern Ireland

So, yesterday I had a telephone interview for a contract in Belfast (my hometown)
    Third Line WinTel Support with some project & design work. MCSE and CCNA required.

Interview went well. Received a phonecall within 30 minutes from the Pimp confirming an offer. Then we got to rates. I opened with £40 an hour (no expenses as I have a house within walking distance). The Pimp nearly had a heart attack. He told me they don't have ANYONE on their books on more than £25 an hour!
    Conversation ended there and then.

Is this the norm in N.Ireland or was this Pimp just pushing his luck?
    Last edited by mikeyboy; 28 March 2008, 14:21.

Originally posted by mikeyboy View Post
    So, yesterday I had a telephone interview for a contract in Belfast (my hometown)
    Third Line WinTel Support with some project & design work. MCSE and CCNA required.

Interview went well. Received a phonecall within 30 minutes from the Pimp confirming an offer. Then we got to rates. I opened with £40 an hour (no expenses as I have a house within walking distance). The Pimp nearly had a heart attack. He told me they don't have ANYONE on their books on more than £25 an hour!
    Conversation ended there and then.

Is this the norm in N.Ireland or was this Pimp just pushing his luck?
    Sounds like the pimp is only used to placing 'temps' not contractors. Also as it's your home town surely you know a bit about the local rates and can tell what is the norm?

Comment

Sounds like the pimp is only used to placing 'temps' not contractors. Also as it's your home town surely you know a bit about the local rates and can tell what is the norm?
      I think you may be onto it there.
      It is my home town, but I never looked at contracting there in the past. Had a permie job in Belfast for ten years then went abroad for the last few years contracting.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong...

But if you are on £ 40 p/h and you incur expenses working away from home of let's say £ 400 p/w (inc. flights to/fm home), then your net rate is more like £ 30 p/h. Allowing for time spent on the road and the hassle of commuting, would you rather be within walking distance from home and get close to that? I would. Belfast has changed to become a half-decent place lately.
        Also not trying to wound your ego, but 3rd line MS support for £ 40 p/h - in the present climate - you are pushing it, don't you think?

Comment

Oops, forgot to mention that the role requires DV Clearance. Which I have. Hence the £40 p/hr rate. In-fact I'm on nearer £50 p/hr at the moment in Hampshire.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyboy View Post
            Oops, forgot to mention that the role requires DV Clearance. Which I have. Hence the £40 p/hr rate. In-fact I'm on nearer £50 p/hr at the moment in Hampshire.
            Ah EDS

Comment

Fair enough then

I see. Probably worth it then. Same logic applied though - £ 10 p/h less would have tempted you as per my breakdown. Good luck.

Comment

Rates in Ireland are generally about two thirds of the rate you would get in England.

Comment

Rates in Ireland are generally about two thirds of the rate you would get in England.
                  I had noticed this when looking at contracts in The Republic. Contract market there is very small and the rates are rubbish when you consider the high cost of living in Dublin where most of them are located.
                  Thought Belfast would have been different though as there is apparently a "skills shortage" as Fujitsu have just snapped up around 200 peeps and dried up the supply. Plus it's still the UK and Belfast isn't such a cheap place to live these days.
                  Last edited by mikeyboy; 28 March 2008, 17:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                    Rates in England are about two thirds the rate you get in London.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X