• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wembley loses 2010 final over tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wembley last hosted the European Cup in 1992 when Barcelona won

Wembley Stadium has lost out to Real Madrid's Bernabeu Stadium in its bid to host the 2010 Champions League final because of tax reasons, says Uefa.

Wembley was discounted after failing to provide assurances that players competing in the final would not be taxed by the British government.

"Yes, the reason was the taxes," said Uefa president Michel Platini.

Rival bids from Munich and Berlin were also overlooked, while Arsenal lost out to Hamburg for the 2010 Uefa Cup final.

Uefa was also set to announce the host of the 2011 finals on Friday, but have delayed to further consider the bids.

And Platini's advisor William Gaillaird said that would give Wembley a chance to provide more definite assurances over the tax issues, should they choose to.

"It gives them the chance to provide the necessary answers to the tax question," he said. "Clearly Wembley is an outstanding venue."

A Uefa statement read: "The home stadiums of Real Madrid and Hamburg were chosen on the basis of capacity, facilities, accommodation and security, among other considerations."

But Platini added: "The concerns we had over players being taxed were minimised by the English FA but not confirmed by the British government."

Uefa maintains that footballers should be taxed in their country of domicile and that taxing them separately in every country in which they play matches would be both unfair and unnecessarily complicated.

Platini said Uefa had received assurances from the German government that it would not tax visiting players if the finals were awarded to Berlin's Olympiastadion or Munich's Allianz Arena.

Spain's two bids, involving the Bernabeu and Valencia's Mestalla stadium, were not affected as there is no such direct tax law in Spain.

The Bernabeu, now boasting a 71,569 all-seater capacity, previously hosted the final in 1957, 1969 and 1980 and their selection comes four months after Uefa conferred 'Elite Stadium' status on their ground, an essential condition for hosting European finals.

This year's final will be held at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, with Rome's Stadio Olimpico hosting the match in 2009.

Wembley, which last hosted Europe's premier club competition final in 1992, remains on the shortlist for the 2011 final.

England last hosted the Champions League final in 2003, when AC Milan beat Juventus on penalties at Old Trafford.

-----

I hope Cameron raises this question on PMQs - high taxes etc

Not suprised at all. They'd rather american football was played at Wembley than soccer. Hell, they even prefer monster trucks to soccer.

Anything with cheerleaders is fine by me.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

It's a calculated snub to the English
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        Not the Welsh?

That's ok then
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
          Nah, it really is the taxes and associated nonsense. The cost of the paperwork can be prohibitive as well. Interferes with all sorts of things. It's a proper pain. I'll only do UK gigs if I can work remote, 'cause of the tax, thinking on that one of my best UK clients are moving development to Canada, firstly for the tax breaks, but also so they can get people like me to work on site occasionally. It's just not worth it otherwise. So that's IT, and then there're the pop bands. Many pop bands have been missing out the UK on their tours for a few years now. IIRC the Rolling Stones is actually a Dutch company.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            I'll only do UK gigs if I can work remote, 'cause of the tax, thinking on that one of my best UK clients are moving development to Canada, firstly for the tax breaks, but also so they can get people like me to work on site occasionally.
            Wow! So a whole company is prepared to relocate half way round the world just so you'll agree to work for them?! You must be even smarter than I thought
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Wow! So a whole company is prepared to relocate half way round the world just so you'll agree to work for them?! You must be even smarter than I thought
              Owl you should get back your old avatar - that aviator guy with popping out eyes, ta.

Comment

Working...
              X