• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No wonder the MPs are resisting publication of expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wonder the MPs are resisting publication of expenses

These scumbags should be thrown in jail for embezzlement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7319972.stm

Over £700,000 of public money has been spent on the Commons Speaker's official residence since 2001, figures show.

A Freedom of Information request by the Daily Telegraph revealed that over £100,000 a year was spent on furniture, art and air-conditioning.

Speaker Michael Martin's spokeswoman said the improvements were necessary.

Mr Martin has been criticised after his family used air miles from official flights and his wife claimed cab fares for shopping trips.

'Free house'

The figures show that £148,900 has been spent on furniture, £13,000 on art, £191,000 on installing a new air-conditioning system, and £291,000 on "building restoration and refurbishment".

The Speaker should be setting a good example and he is not

Martin Bell
    Former independent MP

A further £992,000 has been spent on the Speaker's garden - although most of those costs are part of the effort to improve security in the Palace of Westminster since the 11 September 2001 attacks.

Former independent MP Martin Bell said he was "shocked" by the sums involved.

"The Speaker should be setting a good example and he is not - MPs have got to get their palace in order," he said.

Mark Wallace, campaign director of the TaxPayers' Alliance, said the figures were "stupendous".

"The Speaker is well paid and receives generous allowances as well as a free house, so it is excessive for him to be billing so heavily for furniture, art and cooling systems."

The revelations come as Michael Martin carries out a review into MPs' expenses, due to report in the autumn.

But his own expenses have been the subject of scrutiny and his spokesman, Mike Granatt, resigned in February after he wrongly rebutted some parts of a story claiming that the Speaker's wife had claimed more than £4,000 in taxi expenses since May 2004.

Mr Martin's spokeswoman said the spending on Speaker's House was part of a rolling programme of improvements.

She added that the property was used for entertaining heads of state and needed to be maintained as part of Britain's heritage.

"Speaker's House is the official residence of the Speaker," she said.

"Entertainment of visiting heads of state, parliamentarians and others take place in the State Apartments and the costs listed reflect environmental and heritage requirements and health and safety legislation."
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    These scumbags should be thrown in jail for embezzlement.

Honourable Gentlemen

Comment

This is dreadful I think we should send the gypsy's to camp their vans outside his mansion!

Comment

I think it is reasonable. What is unreasonable is that the prols tolerate these scumbags.

Comment

Over £700,000 of public money has been spent on the Commons Speaker's official residence since 2001, figures show.
          It's only fair.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Guy Fawkes had the right Idea.

I advocate Civil Disobedience.

Oh! we already have it don't we
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post

I advocate Civil Disobedience.

Oh! we already have it don't we

Yeah, but like serial killers, they choose the wrong victims.

I'm pretty sure if I ever get diagnosed with a terminal illness (other than old age where I'll be too frail and immobile to do anything), rather than put my feet up on a poncy holiday, I'll pay a few scumbags a visit, Dexter style.

Otherwise, being corrupted by all those banned video horror nasties when I was a lad will just go to waste.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

.. I'm pretty sure if I ever get diagnosed with a terminal illness (other than old age where I'll be too frail and immobile to do anything), rather than put my feet up on a poncy holiday, I'll pay a few scumbags a visit, Dexter style. ..
                Who's Dexter? If I had a terminal illness I'd turn up Terminator style!

OH in "I'll *not* be back" mode
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

.. I'm pretty sure if I ever get diagnosed with a terminal illness (other than old age where I'll be too frail and immobile to do anything), rather than put my feet up on a poncy holiday, I'll pay a few scumbags a visit, Dexter style. ..
                  Who's Dexter? If I had a terminal illness I'd turn up Terminator style!

OH in "I'll *not* be back" mode
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post

Comment

Working...
                    X