• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A little strange....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little strange....

I'm very skeptical about ALL things paranormal but....

We are staying in Skipton this weekend - went out for a meal last night and travelled along the A59 towards Harrogate. Bad weather - dark about 9pm.

The road apparently has a high number fatal accidents every year.

We were at the head of 4 or 5 cars on a part of the road which has numerous blind bends - because of the weather I was trundling along at 45mph....

Then around the next bend a lorry and half a dozen cars appeared, the lorry was leading - with a single car overtaking on the bend dierctly in front of us.

The car moved to cut in front of the lorry as we got closer -but there didn't seem enough room. Just then gap shut and somehow the car cut in front of the lorry, and didn't hit us. No time to take avoiding action, no time to scream and not even brown trousers time.

We were very quiet. We stopped at the restaurant within a couple of miles and I said - how did it get passed? She said it seemed like the car had passed 'through us' - there was no room for it to get passed???? We were more dazed than shocked. She said no one in their right mind would have overtook on that bend.
    We did ask in the restaurant if there was strange stories of phantom motorists - the waitress said there was always accidents along here - a motorcyclist had been killed and is regularly seen going into a ditch... Then later on she said she had a word with the owner who said a guy had been decapitated overtaking a lorry on a bend, about thi time last year - Yes, I know!!! - It's b0ll0x - but there it is.

When we travelled back after the food we drove passed the spot from the other direction - it was a very tight bend. I got pretty spooked then - I thought about those crap 'urban myth' stories - Death Car or Phantom driver rubbish!!

BTW - it wasn't an A3!!!

T

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    I'm very skeptical about ALL things paranormal but....

We are staying in Skipton this weekend - went out for a meal last night and travelled along the A59 towards Harrogate. Bad weather - dark about 9pm.

The road apparently has a high number fatal accidents every year.

We were at the head of 4 or 5 cars on a part of the road which has numerous blind bends - because of the weather I was trundling along at 45mph....

Then around the next bend a lorry and half a dozen cars appeared, the lorry was leading - with a single car overtaking on the bend dierctly in front of us.

The car moved to cut in front of the lorry as we got closer -but there didn't seem enough room. Just then gap shut and somehow the car cut in front of the lorry, and didn't hit us. No time to take avoiding action, no time to scream and not even brown trousers time.

We were very quiet. We stopped at the restaurant within a couple of miles and I said - how did it get passed? She said it seemed like the car had passed 'through us' - there was no room for it to get passed???? We were more dazed than shocked. She said no one in their right mind would have overtook on that bend.
    We did ask in the restaurant if there was strange stories of phantom motorists - the waitress said there was always accidents along here - a motorcyclist had been killed and is regularly seen going into a ditch... Then later on she said she had a word with the owner who said a guy had been decapitated overtaking a lorry on a bend, about thi time last year - Yes, I know!!! - It's b0ll0x - but there it is.

When we travelled back after the food we drove passed the spot from the other direction - it was a very tight bend. I got pretty spooked then - I thought about those crap 'urban myth' stories - Death Car or Phantom driver rubbish!!

BTW - it wasn't an A3!!!

T
    Looks like the gap bigger than you thought.

I had similar - I tried to overtake 10 cars in my capri ghia in 1986 - I was 23 - just outside Borough Green heading towards SEvenoaks. I knew I has about half mile over wide road before bollards - it was very very close as I squeezed past last car before bollards. I closed my eyes! But I made it....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      But I made it....
      No you didn't, just like everyone else on this forum...

Comment

While eating we speculated.....

Did we in fact actually survive or is this what the afterlife is - are our bodies mashed on the A59....?

T

Comment

Speculant!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            No you didn't, just like everyone else on this forum...
            So I am just one of your fem-bots then?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              So I am just one of your fem-bots then?
              You were. But then you changed sex

Comment

http://www.eurorap.org/library/pdfs/...undaytimes.pdf

when these kind of things happen there is no use in trying to explain it to people as if they were not actually present at the time they'll naturally come out with a logical reason-as Im sure you would if the roles were reversed.

I was nearly sectioned circa 2002 when I saw 5 two legged grey creatures with bulging eyes and larger than average heads climb out the back of a ford transit, people thought I was nuts but I know what I saw.

Comment

Originally posted by RRH View Post
                  I was nearly sectioned circa 2002 when I saw 5 two legged grey creatures with bulging eyes and larger than average heads climb out the back of a ford transit, people thought I was nuts but I know what I saw.
                  Sounds great stuff you were on - can I have some please?
                  Last edited by BrilloPad; 29 March 2008, 18:40. Reason: typo

Comment

Did we in fact actually survive or is this what the afterlife is - are our bodies mashed on the A59....?

T
                    Not so much an afterlife, more an après vie.

There are multiples of trillions of incidents that will happen during your life. It seems quite likely that some of them will seem miraculuous. Million to one chances crop up, 9 time out of 10.

OTOH - are you ready to meet your maker, and will he be convinced by your arguments for non-existance?
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X