PDA

View Full Version : Guilt trip to the supermarket

Bagpuss
30th March 2008, 17:37
In my local Sainsburys yesterday they decided they would hide the free carrier bags in some kind of attempt to preach to the customers on global warming.

The patronising little cow on the till asked if I wanted to "buy a bag for life?"
No thanks I said as the shopping was pilling up, "can I have some carrier bags please?"

By the look of distain on her face you think I'd said "can I have a sh1t on the conveyor belt?"

The patronising barstewards:tantrum:

Lucy
30th March 2008, 18:02
Go to Waitrose, baggy:D

Bagpuss
30th March 2008, 18:18
The nearest Waitrose is 6 miles away, and I was hungry!:tongue

BrilloPad
30th March 2008, 18:23
Not sure I see the issue over plastic bags. plastic can be recycled can't it?

Lucy
30th March 2008, 18:27
The nearest Waitrose is 6 miles away, and I was hungry!:tongue

It's worth it pussycat. No attitude from the staff of Waitrose.

AtW
30th March 2008, 18:30
It's worth it pussycat. No attitude from the staff of Waitrose.

You need to get a job ASAP there Lucy :wink

Lucy
30th March 2008, 18:33
You need to get a job ASAP there Lucy :wink

Yes, I've often thought there should be more people with PhDs working in supermarkets.

AtW
30th March 2008, 18:38
Yes, I've often thought there should be more people with PhDs working in supermarkets.

Such a different approach to me and baggy, don't stand too long under sun - you might melt :wink

thunderlizard
30th March 2008, 20:38

It's mainly cosmetic. Plastic bags are more environmentally friendly to produce than paper ones, and take up a negligible % of landfill space. They don't biodegrade for centuries, but nor do most things. They just make the country a total mess by getting blown into trees, hedges etc.

Platypus
30th March 2008, 20:41
They don't biodegrade for centuries

Co-op use biodegradable bags which disintegrate in < 1 year

meridian
30th March 2008, 22:34

:spel < the time it takes to get from the storefront to your car

BoredBloke
31st March 2008, 09:11

I recycle all of mine - I use them as bin bags. OK they all end up ina land fill somewhere, but at least they are not all contained inside another plastic bag.

NotAllThere
31st March 2008, 10:47

Unfortunately, they disintegrate into radioactive dioxin.

...or something.

AtW
31st March 2008, 10:57

...or something.

If it's meta-dioxin then it should be allright...

Lucifer Box
31st March 2008, 10:59

...or something.
They disintegrate into Co-Op meat and potato pies, except nicer tasting.

hyperD
31st March 2008, 12:23
The patronising little cow on the till asked if I wanted to "buy a bag for life?"

I would have said: "Buy one? I tuliping married one, why would want to buy one?"

PAH
31st March 2008, 12:30
I do my bit to save the planet by re-using the bags next time I go shopping. Would be more effective though if I remembered to take them more often.

Other than that I give them to friends who are obsessed with doing car boots at the weekend, so they can bag up their tat for their customers.

SueEllen
31st March 2008, 12:34
In my local Sainsburys yesterday they decided they would hide the free carrier bags in some kind of attempt to preach to the customers on global warming.

Nope it's nothing to do with that.

Supermarkets have been warned the if they don't get the number of bags they give away down, then Gordon Brown will introduce a new law to ensure they do in the next budget.

Hence M&S are giving away free bags during this month with your shopping and will start charging for them next month.

PAH
31st March 2008, 12:59
Why's it so difficult to make them out of recyclable plastic? There would be no issue then.

Unless the supermarkets are using it as an excuse to make some money charging for them. You only need to look at the amount of overpackaging supermarkets already supply to see their green intentions are ultimately driven by profit.

hyperD
31st March 2008, 13:11
Many years ago in Hungary, people used to bring their own bags to do shopping as quite simply, shops couldn't afford any plastic ones.

Now that Tesco have invaded, everyone expects all shops to have free plastic bags.

Funny old world...

NotAllThere
31st March 2008, 13:44
I do my bit to save the planet by re-using the bags ...

No you don't. You just do as a sop to your conscience. Or possibly, no you don't, the planet isn't endangered by non-reuse of plastic bags.

PAH
31st March 2008, 14:32
No you don't. You just do as a sop to your conscience. Or possibly, no you don't, the planet isn't endangered by non-reuse of plastic bags.

:rolleyes:

:moon:

Spartacus
31st March 2008, 14:40
I would have said: "Buy one? I tuliping married one, why would want to buy one?"

:rollin:

tim123
5th April 2008, 12:54
Many years ago in Hungary, people used to bring their own bags to do shopping as quite simply, shops couldn't afford any plastic ones.

Now that Tesco have invaded, everyone expects all shops to have free plastic bags.

Funny old world...

Supermarkets in Germany/Sweden/Denmark don't give bags away, why do they do so in Hungary?

tim

AtW
5th April 2008, 13:07
If the bugs are so bad, they should be buying them back and then recycling.

Platypus
5th April 2008, 22:09

No thanks I said as the shopping was pilling up, "can I have some carrier bags please?"

By the look of distain on her face you think I'd said "can I have a tulip on the conveyor belt?"

The patronising barstewards:tantrum:

Alleviate your guilt by reading what DEFRA says about this:

We don't think a ban or a levy is the right way to go," said a Defra spokeswoman.

Ireland introduced a "plastax" of about 30 cents (20p) on each bag in 2002 and there has been a 90% reduction in use.

But the Defra spokeswoman said the tax had led to people buying more plastic bin liners, which were even worse than carrier bags.

Interestingly, since the budget, the (very good) article on the DEFRA site criticising a levy on plastic bags is harder to find than newer articles saying what a great idea it is.

My conscience is clear, e.g.
http://www.brc.org.uk/details04.asp?id=1109&kCat=&kData=263&sCat=Retail+Myths
http://www.carrierbagtax.com

Turion
5th April 2008, 23:03
I love all these plastic bags. They are so useful. For instance I never buy bin liners, as was the case when I have worked in plastic bag averse countries. In Ireland bin liner usage has increased 4 fold since the ban.

Be brave stick up for plastic bags :yay::yay::yay:

NickFitz
6th April 2008, 04:37

...or something.

The real problem is that the bags are biodegradable, but the plastic isn't :freaky:

The "biodegradable" plastic bags are made of a mixture of plastic particles and a biodegradable substance (cellulose, I think). When the cellulose degrades, the physical bag is gone, but the particles of plastic remain.

Although "out of sight, out of mind" to such majestic beings as ourselves and the Co-op, these particles then end up being ingested by smaller organisms such as earthworms and insects, and even unicellular beings such as amoebae, with undetermined consequences for the ecosphere :(

EqualOpportunities
6th April 2008, 04:53

:spel before you get your shopping to the firkin' car, and you end up smashing your eggs on the floor; IYKWIM.