• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Really torn about a house I have seen.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really torn about a house I have seen.

Where I live - lovely peaceful area, no traffic, peaceful cul-de-sac. However, a semi (hear neighbour zedding) and I also have the family from hell moving in with changing the 2 bed to a 5 bed house. love the house and the area though, like this one here up the road for sale:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=1&tr_t=buy

However.... There is a small detached in a quiet area, as in not close to the bypass, but a loooong cul-de-sac. Like this one here:

Would stay and be very happy here if it was not for the family from hell opposite - however, is this the right reason to move?

There is a lovely semi that I like as well, this one here.

Basically, not sure if to just try plan B and get a banger to plonk outside to protect my driveway access and ignore the loon when he shouts and dwears at me, or if to move, and if so, stay in a nice semi in the side of town I really like, or to get a detached along the lines of this one.

A very personal choice I guess!

I have a citroen xantia s reg, yours for £450
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Wherever you go, always someone to make your life a misery.

Comment

If you're getting stressed about the chavs across the road Wilsmslow then avoid the semis. After all you'll have no control over who lives next door / who they rent or sell on to etc. Go detached.

It's unfortunate you feel you're in a position where you have to move now. I would stick with the £200 banger plan just for wind-up / entertainment value.
        Last edited by moorfield; 30 March 2008, 19:17.

Comment

Don't forget Wilmslow, you are obliged to tell prospective purchasers of your dispute with the neighbours. Might be better to make up before you leave
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            I have a citroen xantia s reg, yours for £450
            Interested Bagpuss - where are you, and does it have tax??

Comment

I do sympathise with your grief Wilmslow, I've moved house three times now and that was mainly because of the neighbours. It was their noise levels and oddly enough parking situations that drove me out (previous houses were semi and semi-detached).

moorfield is right that going detached is the way to go and I have the same thoughts, you can't control what’s going on next door to you in a semi so don't even consider another one of those. Spend the extra cash it's WELL worth it I promise you.

I agree with BrilloPad, it seems wherever you go there's always someone/something that will p*** you off. Every single person I know has problems with neighbours. I'm in my 4th property now, next door to me they have a dog that barks every time the wind blows and now she’s running a crèche there. How you can legally do that without having consultation with your neighbours is beyond me. I’m noticing it more I guess because I’m benched and at home in the day right now.

It’s a difficult choice to make and expensive to keep moving around. I’d stay put for the moment with a view to going detached in the longer term once the housing market has stabilised a bit (plus you'll have time to save up). I know it’s difficult, but hang in there. Maybe they'll move out before you do.
              Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
                I do sympathise with your grief Wilmslow, I've moved house three times now and that was mainly because of the neighbours. It was their noise levels and oddly enough parking situations that drove me out (previous houses were semi and semi-detached).

moorfield is right that going detached is the way to go and I have the same thoughts, you can't control what’s going on next door to you in a semi so don't even consider another one of those. Spend the extra cash it's WELL worth it I promise you.

I agree with BrilloPad, it seems wherever you go there's always someone/something that will p*** you off. Every single person I know has problems with neighbours. I'm in my 4th property now, next door to me they have a dog that barks every time the wind blows and now she’s running a crèche there. How you can legally do that without having consultation with your neighbours is beyond me. I’m noticing it more I guess because I’m benched and at home in the day right now.

It’s a difficult choice to make and expensive to keep moving around. I’d stay put for the moment with a view to going detached in the longer term once the housing market has stabilised a bit (plus you'll have time to save up). I know it’s difficult, but hang in there. Maybe they'll move out before you do.
                Wise words Miffy. I love everything else about the house, and the area. Would be lovely not to hear my neighbour snoring at night, but, as he is a lovely guy I do not mind it. I do mind the chav people opposite - rough and ready is not the word!

My real worry is that the house is empty now as they are doing it up (as in tripling the size!). When they move in, that will be when the serious fun commences!

May just buy Bagpuss's mcar to be honest and plonk outside, then get on with life!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                  Wise words Miffy. I love everything else about the house, and the area. Would be lovely not to hear my neighbour snoring at night, but, as he is a lovely guy I do not mind it. I do mind the chav people opposite - rough and ready is not the word!

My real worry is that the house is empty now as they are doing it up (as in tripling the size!). When they move in, that will be when the serious fun commences!

May just buy Bagpuss's mcar to be honest and plonk outside, then get on with life!
                  Well if it helps I really loved my first house, great area and lovely quiet cul-de-sac, everything was fine until the chav neighbour from hell moved in next door. A retired guy of 65 would you believe (Reg are you reading this?!?). He was the most pleasant person outside of the house and he'd always speak to you and exchange pleasantries over the garden fence.

The problem was when he went back into the house, it was like Jekyll and Hyde. The guy was a complete fruitcake, he'd be slamming doors, shouting, swearing and had the stereo and tv cranked up. He was the only one in the house for christ sake.

I couldn't stand it at the time. I was getting home late at night and totally stressed out from work. The last thing I needed at night was to come home to that s***.

I'd really be tempted to do the crappy old car thing and park it outside (maybe even an old white van or something) and why not, they're doing just what they want. If you can't beat them as they say...

I think my idea of a perfect house would have to be in the middle of a field now, away from anyone else.
                  Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

blimey,

this thread should be called the big hitters thread

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X