• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

bbc news website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bbc news website

The BBC have changed the lay out of the news website

combined with only 3 hours insomniacle sleep last night, i thought i'd entered a parallel dimension

Thanks for the warning BBC!
    Coffee's for closers

I liked the old one. It would have been a better change if they put online BBC1/2/3 rather than just BBC24.

Comment

That new layout is tulipe

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        The BBC have changed the lay out of the news website

combined with only 3 hours insomniacle sleep last night, i thought i'd entered a parallel dimension

Thanks for the warning BBC!
        Are you me?

Had hardly any sleep last night, went onto the Beeb's site this morning, found the same - also that their News24 streaming service was down.

It's all a bit surreal today - with a hell of a lot of work to do. Perhaps I can procrastinate until midday before I start to panic.

Comment

Originally posted by HYpno27 View Post
          That new layout is tulipe
          Yes, hard to put one's finger on. But the old layout/style looked compact and professional, whereas the new one has a dumbed-down "My Little Pony" baby look.

Wonder what RealityHack makes of it, as I gather that's his speciality. Maybe it _is_ more ergonomic etc, but all the same. Ugh!

Comment

Don't know about that - the layout is simpler and the fonts have been dramatically improved. I think it's a lot more readable now. They don't need the double masthead though - they could incorporate the search in the red one and lose the black one.

Comment

As far as I can see the layout is the same as the old one, but with bigger fonts - the three columns have the same content as before which is nice. I prefer the thinner bbc header though (the grey one).

If you look at the root page it's gone all igoogle/web2.0 which is quite cool.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

DUH! What a dizzy cow I am. There's me saying "Wonder what RealityHack makes of it", when his post was the one right before mine!

Comment

I still think the Beeb suffers from info blindness on the main page - trying to impart way too much info on the first page - they need to take a close look at their IA, do some user scenario testing, content analysis and 'funnel' people properly into the relevant content.

Having a LH menu split between regions and subjects clouds it a little, the whole thing needs reshuffling - I don't think they've cracked it yet - too many competing CTAs on the one page, not enough distinction between them.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    As far as I can see the layout is the same as the old one, but with bigger fonts - the three columns have the same content as before which is nice. I prefer the thinner bbc header though (the grey one).

If you look at the root page it's gone all igoogle/web2.0 which is quite cool.
                    Mostly correct - they have changed it a little - but used fonts with wider punch-widths and leading.
                    Loads of wasted space on the root page... seen that a while ago - plenty of room for improvement.

Comment

Working...
                    X