• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Italy trip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italy trip

Got back a few days ago, from a long drive down to Naples in Italy and back. My main worry was that I would put the wrong fuel into my car but in the event it was not a problem. Most Italian service stations have attendants who fill up for you, and they explained all the different pumps.

I went about £900 over my budget due to the toll roads in France and Italy, plus the high cost of fuel on the motorways. The hotels were very cheap, I didnt have to pay more than £50 for a decent room. Herculaneum and Pompeii were well worth the visit and I had six days close contact with my son, eyeball to eyeball.
    Thats what I did it for really, a bit of male bonding.

I wouldn't go back to Italy, bad roads, bad drivers, awful food, rip-off prices - sorry Francko

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

I intend to go down that route next year on me motorbike.

Love Italy and the people and the culture. Looking forward to it immensely...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Are you going through Switzerland ? I went through Chambery in France instead because the weather was bad. We did it in two days, about 850 miles per day
      some big big tunnels through the Alps

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)

Comment

I visited Napoli about 5 years ago and it was a bit of a dump back then, even before all this garbage collection crisis (is it still on going?). Pompeii was interesting, and a ferry trip to Capri was pleasant... wouldn't recommend it unless you're passing though... quickly.

Go down the coast to Amalfi. Very very nice.
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
          I visited Napoli about 5 years ago and it was a bit of a dump back then, even before all this garbage collection crisis (is it still on going?). Pompeii was interesting, and a ferry trip to Capri was pleasant... wouldn't recommend it unless you're passing though... quickly.

Go down the coast to Amalfi. Very very nice.
          Amalfi ?? I couldnt get past the rubbish bags in the street. Six feet of stinking , festering months old rubbish. I could smell it from a mile away and when I was trying to navigate through it I just had to turn back.
          Funny how the guide in Pompeii kept explaining how the inhabitants 2000 years ago kept the place very clean

Last edited by EternalOptimist; 31 March 2008, 12:11. Reason: spell check fascists are after me
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            Got back a few days ago, from a long drive down to Naples in Italy and back. My main worry was that I would put the wrong fuel into my car but in the event it was not a problem. Most Italian service stations have attendants who fill up for you, and they explained all the different pumps.

I went about £900 over my budget due to the toll roads in France and Italy, plus the high cost of fuel on the motorways. The hotels were very cheap, I didnt have to pay more than £50 for a decent room. Herculaneum and Pompeii were well worth the visit and I had six days close contact with my son, eyeball to eyeball.
            Thats what I did it for really, a bit of male bonding.

I wouldn't go back to Italy, bad roads, bad drivers, awful food, rip-off prices - sorry Francko

How old is your son?

Comment

Amalfi ?? I couldnt get past the rubbish bags in the street. Six feet of stinking , festering months old rubbish. I could smell it from a mile away and when I was trying to navigate through it I just had to turn back.
              Funny how the guide in Pompeii kept explaining how the inhabitants 2000 years ago kept the place very clean

couldn't

HTH.
              Spell check fascist.

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post
                How old is your son?
                He is just 17, and his mate is 18 in July

I had a bit of attitude for the first two days, then they got right into it.

Anyone need any tips in teenager speak ? I am an expert now

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

I still don't understand why they don't just chuck all that rubbish down mount Vesuvius. It probably won't erupt for centuries, and by that time the rubbish will all have burnt to a crisp and there'll be hordes of robots to clean up the mess in an hour or two.

BTW did you visit Caserta as someone recommended?

Comment

Amalfi ?? I couldnt get past the rubbish bags in the street.
                    Oh no! What a shame It was quite beautiful there 5 years ago.
                    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Working...
                    X