• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

T5 muppetry continues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T5 muppetry continues

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7322172.stm

Many bags have been sent to Manchester and Scotland to be processed.
    WTF??? Mr Elbow meet Mr Arse
    Last edited by moorfield; 31 March 2008, 12:07.

I bet the other airlines are thanking their lucky stars that BA got exclusivity of the terminal. Wouldn't suprise me if they also put a few of their best piss-takers into the terminal as moles to stir it up a bit.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

My bmi flight on Friday and again today were both on time.

I think they are pulling out the stops to look good, so thanks to BA for that!
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

How hard can it be?

Having done a lot of travelling in Europe/US/etc, I am amazed by how only BA were caught in this. Where is the BAA CEO or any spokesmen indeed? This is entirely their doing. Just to think that in places as far away as Hong Kong and Athens, entire airports (not just terminals) were dismantled and were migrated 10-20 miles away overnight and without a hitch! Just wait till 2012 for the mother of all fiascos to take place!
        Last edited by Dow Jones; 31 March 2008, 15:13.

Comment

From a project management perspective, it looks like they went for, effectively, a big bang implementation.

Now, call me a big scaredy cat, but Big Bangs usually end up as a CF to some extent. With something as hyped as T5 was, surely they would have been better doing this gradually?

No glory in that though....

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
            From a project management perspective, it looks like they went for, effectively, a big bang implementation.

Now, call me a big scaredy cat, but Big Bangs usually end up as a CF to some extent. With something as hyped as T5 was, surely they would have been better doing this gradually?

No glory in that though....

Not quite a big bang - they haven't moved a lot of flights over there yet. They are still flying out of all the other terminals as well at the moment - next month they move everything over there.

I think that it's more down to heavily unionized baggage handlers having to work with a new system, and not liking it.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Not quite a big bang - they haven't moved a lot of flights over there yet. They are still flying out of all the other terminals as well at the moment - next month they move everything over there.

I think that it's more down to heavily unionized baggage handlers having to work with a new system, and not liking it.
              Point taken. I guess maybe they migrated more than was strictly necessary to gently ramp up the new systems.

And couldn't they have predicted the unionised staff chucking the odd wrench in the works?

20-20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
                I think their biggest mistake was to move too many flights on day 1 - if they just moved 10-15 then any throughput problems would not have lead to collapse as it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  I think their biggest mistake was to move too many flights on day 1 - if they just moved 10-15 then any throughput problems would not have lead to collapse as it happened.
                  The system fell over because the baggage handlers were too slow unloading the bags, so the conveyer belt stopped, so they had problems with check-in.

Starting slowly and ramping up means that the problems will just occur later, after all the hype about how smoothly it all works.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Starting slowly and ramping up means that the problems will just occur later, after all the hype about how smoothly it all works.
                    Yes, the problem will occur LATER (not on the launch day), and also the scale of problems will be gradual - you'd have to cancel 1-2 flights, but not 15-20.

Comment

Working...
                    X