• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mini Cash ISA Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini Cash ISA Question

Lo folks,

AFAIK, we are currently on the 2007/2008 ISA's at the moment, and the new ones come out next week for 2008/2009.

I've like to open a 2007/2008 one before they become locked, so that I can invest 3K in it, then come next week put in another 3K.

However, I don't have the 3K at the moment to invest in the 2007/2008 one.

Therefore, can I open a 2007/2008 one with a £1, which then gives me my 3K allowance for this tax year, and then come next week when the 2008/2009 comes in to effect, stuff £5999 in the isa, assuming that my allowance carries over ?

Any ideas ?
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

You cant do that.

If you don't use up your annual allowance then you lose it. Its not transferable.

Comment

I don't think allowance carries over, however you can put one week £3k from current year, and next week (assuming next week new FY starts) you can put £3k more - this will use up your allowances for 2 years.

Comment

This years allowance wont carry over.

And I will refrain from making any childish jokes about selling a few dozen runecloth bags to raise the money. oops too late

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
          Lo folks,

AFAIK, we are currently on the 2007/2008 ISA's at the moment, and the new ones come out next week for 2008/2009.

I've like to open a 2007/2008 one before they become locked, so that I can invest 3K in it, then come next week put in another 3K.

However, I don't have the 3K at the moment to invest in the 2007/2008 one.

Therefore, can I open a 2007/2008 one with a £1, which then gives me my 3K allowance for this tax year, and then come next week when the 2008/2009 comes in to effect, stuff £5999 in the isa, assuming that my allowance carries over ?

Any ideas ?
          They're are ISAs where you can park your allowance but that doesn't apply to mini cash ISAs

BTW your allowance increases for the 08-09 tax year to £3,600

Lloyds TSB have a 6.5% deal at the moment for exsisting balances transfered in from other providers subject to minimum of 9k
          Last edited by Bagpuss; 31 March 2008, 16:53.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Thanks for the help...shame my cheque won't clear until next week. Looks like I'll have to spend the spare 3K instead on a new monitor.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Thanks for the help...shame my cheque won't clear until next week. Looks like I'll have to spend the spare 3K instead on a new monitor.
              Can you really not get £3K from somewhere? Are you a permie?

What date to they count? I applied for an Abbey one online, expecting to be able to do it all instantly. It just ended with a "thankyou, your application has been received". I'm a bit worried now they'll post me some forms, and expect me to fill them out and post them back with a cheque and the whole thing will take 2 weeks, which is not a lot of use when I'm trying to get it done before April 5th.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Can you really not get £3K from somewhere? Are you a permie?
                Who has 3K just laying around for fun ? No, I'm a contractor, but on a static rate for the last 3 years, so it's been tough.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Who has 3K just laying around for fun ? No, I'm a contractor, but on a static rate for the last 3 years, so it's been tough.
                  Cut down on that WoW thingy...

Comment

Oh do behave Alex.

WOW is one of my few enjoyments in life (well, at least until Warhammer Online comes out, then I'll probably leave WOW and start on a new game).

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X