• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Northern rock, stick the knife in.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northern rock, stick the knife in.

Northern rock today announced that it will reduce its mortgage book by forcing its current customers to seek other lender, by offering them only their standard variable rates (currently 7.62%) This will affect the hundreds of thousands of borrowers whose Fixed rate mortgages are now ending.
    Those borrowers who are unable to find/change to a new lender will just have to pay the ever increasing interest rate.
    They predict that there will be an increase in forced repossessions as already struggling borrowers fail to maintain their mortgages under the new higher interest rates, thus relieving Northern Rock of even more of its mortgage burden and enabling the company to be downsized and better able to pay back the public sector loan.
    Confusion is a natural state of being

The other banks will follow. Give it a year or so and the only mortgages available will be std rate at 9% APR.

HTH

(Hope That Hurts)

Comment

My advice would be for these over borrowed types to own up and do the decent thing

That would quickly release the affordable housing the FTB's need.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
        Northern rock today announced that it will reduce its mortgage book by forcing its current customers to seek other lender, by offering them only their standard variable rates (currently 7.62%) This will affect the hundreds of thousands of borrowers whose Fixed rate mortgages are now ending.
        Those borrowers who are unable to find/change to a new lender will just have to pay the ever increasing interest rate.
        They predict that there will be an increase in forced repossessions as already struggling borrowers fail to maintain their mortgages under the new higher interest rates, thus relieving Northern Rock of even more of its mortgage burden and enabling the company to be downsized and better able to pay back the public sector loan.

The Nationalisation of Northern Rock is a massive 'own goal' by the government. They are now forced into a one-way street of reducing the mortgage book which in itself is reducing mortgage options to borrowers and pushing those people onto other lenders who themselves are already reducing their own lending due to the very same liquidity crisis(eg: HBOS, Nationwide and Abbey) .

This liquidity crisis is not of Northern Rock's making and it was unfortunate for the bank that they were the first to go to the Bank of England for its 'Lender of Last resort' facility when other banks with similar problems were being granted assistance by their respective Central Banks. Now, rather belatedly and still reluctantly, the BofE is now granting extra funds to other major banks but it is evidently not enough and private individuals and businesses are going to be hit in a big way by this credit squeeze.

The government should not be asking Northern Rock to reduce its mortgage book until liquidity conditions have improved. All that is happening is that the crisis is being exacerbated. Surely that is commonsense, but we obviously do not have much of that commodity with our authorities.

Comment

well according to this NRK will be in the black in 2012...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...bcnrock131.xml

Milan.

Comment

Prices have only been kept this high by BTLs. Once prices start to fall it will be a rout.

I look forward to the day when nurses feel they can afford to buy their own place. It is what maggie wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              The government should not be asking Northern Rock to reduce its mortgage book until liquidity conditions have improved.
              NR simply has no alternative but to scale down morgage book.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                NR simply has no alternative but to scale down morgage book.
                I agree with AtW on an economc point! someone please slap me round until I come to my senses...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I agree with AtW on an economc point! someone please slap me round until I come to my senses...
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Good isnt it !
                    NR overstretch and go running to us when it all goes wrong and we have to pay.
                    They then force their punters to be overstretched and demand they pay up or get reposessed.

NR should have been allowed to go under.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X