• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Immigrants, house prices, it's all here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immigrants, house prices, it's all here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7322825.stm

The peers' report said: "The available evidence suggests that immigration has had a small negative impact on the lowest-paid workers in the UK and a small positive impact on the earnings of higher-paid workers."

It added there was a "clear danger" immigration had hit training and apprenticeships offered to British workers, and had contributed towards demand for housing and high house prices.

"Our general conclusion is that the economic benefits of positive net immigration are small or insignificant," it said.

Immigration minister Liam Byrne said the report was "a welcome contribution to our huge immigration shake-up".

So the New Lie finally agree. Immigration does not make the UK economically stronger, but merely pushes up house prices, takes jobs from the low paid and discourages employers from training or offering apprenticeships.

This has been obvious since the early 60s to anyone who reads the government's own statistics on benefits, health and crime. Unfortunately, there is never any sensible balance on this issue, most do not want some impartial application of rules according to daft "rights" laws, we want allowances made for the useful and the useless chucked out promptly.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Immigration minister Liam Byrne said the report was "a welcome contribution to our huge immigration shake-up".

So the New Lie finally agree. Immigration does not make the UK economically stronger, but merely pushes up house prices, takes jobs from the low paid and discourages employers from training or offering apprenticeships.

They agree. Sounds only like "we are listening". Doesn't mean they'll actually do anything about it.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Doesn't sound to me like they agree either. You'll find the normal quote trotted out in due course I should imagine

We do not recognise the findings of the report
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          This has been obvious since the early 60s to anyone who reads the government's own statistics on benefits, health and crime. Unfortunately, there is never any sensible balance on this issue, most do not want some impartial application of rules according to daft "rights" laws, we want allowances made for the useful and the useless chucked out promptly.
          Actually, since we are all skilled, educated workers here, what we really want is more low skilled immigrants with less qualifications and fewer highly educated immigrants.
          It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
            Actually, since we are all skilled, educated workers here, what we really want is more low skilled immigrants with less qualifications and fewer highly educated immigrants.
            No, actually, what we want is more immigrants with qualifications. From my experience most are fake, they go on to screw up the client's system and then I get high rates to fix the resulting melt-down. Fire-fighting always commands a higher rate.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

An important quote which puts NL's side:

Liam Byrne, the immigration minister, said last night: "This report is a welcome contribution to our huge immigration shake-up.

"It proves we were right to set up the independent Migration Advisory Committee to tell us which workers our new Australian-style points system should keep out or let in."

However, the committee was "not persuaded" that this represented the radical overhaul that was needed.
              Twats...
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Obviously if there is no shortage we don't need anyone but it isn't the high earners in reasonable numbers that cause the problems but the unskilled.

To take in anyone on below average earnings when that means topping up with tax credits or other benefits may suit their bosses but not necessarily the wider community. Benefits distort the market and create an artificial support of jobs which it might make more sense to allow to disappear. It is little different in effect to directly propping up British Leyland which even most lefties now agree was not sensible.

PS It is those bosses and their greed who mainly drive this nonsense, not the politically correct.
                Last edited by xoggoth; 1 April 2008, 11:51.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  It is little different in effect to directly propping up British Leyland which even most lefties now agree was not sensible.
                  Spot on! But I disagree with the last bit, even most lefties, if asked in public, now agree was not sensible, but in private they push for things like uncontrolled immigration of the poorly educated, and restrictions on the movement of educated foreigners. This is to try and achieve the same result by another method: a large class of the poor and uneducated for them to lord it over.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    Spot on! But I disagree with the last bit, even most lefties, if asked in public, now agree was not sensible, but in private they push for things like uncontrolled immigration of the poorly educated, and restrictions on the movement of educated foreigners. This is to try and achieve the same result by another method: a large class of the poor and uneducated for them to lord it over.
                    Try this acknowledged leftie:

George Monbiot

Comment

Working...
                    X