• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

no-one posted this yet? Lord Sainsbury

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no-one posted this yet? Lord Sainsbury

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...cndonor101.xml

Prudent use of the tax system...

Older and ...well, just older!!

From the article:

His spokesman said last night that the latest tax-saving move was designed to boost his charitable giving.
    What a stinking hypocrite!

He has every right to shuffle his money around any way he sees fit in order to avoid (not evade) tax. But donating to charity is *his* choice, of how to spend *his* money, and is a specious and evasive excuse to draw attention away from the obvious comparison with people deprived of their choice by high taxes.

Comment

The article is unclear. Did he donate the shares, or sell them?

And even if he did sell them, he's been against the CGT changes from the start, so it doesn't seem that hypocritical.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        And even if he did sell them, he's been against the CGT changes from the start, so it doesn't seem that hypocritical.
        The hypocritical part is when he supports Nu Liebour by being a minister in their Govt, as such cabinet responsibility covers him.

Clearly he did not object against CGT tax raise hard enough - why would he, if he has got highly paid accountants who would find a new loophole for him?

Comment

It's possible to support the ruling political party, or be a member of the government, or even to have been in the cabinet, and be against a specific government policy. He's no longer a minister.

As the article says "He was previously regarded as one of Labour's most loyal ministers." (my emphasis).

Comment

It's possible to support the ruling political party, or be a member of the government, or even to have been in the cabinet, and be against a specific government policy. He's no longer a minister.

As the article says "He was previously regarded as one of Labour's most loyal ministers." (my emphasis).
            My bad - he got kicked upstairs now, not in the Cabinet anymore.

It's still very hypocritical however - if a rich person is supporting the Labour they should be paying all their taxes without using any loopholes - maybe there should be a law that would basically require just that from MPs, ministers, big donors. This CGT bulltulip really made me angry - I won't vote for Labour even if a huge asteroid is about to this this planet to wipe out human kind and the Labour would be the only party that would prevent it

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              if a huge asteroid is about to hit this planet to wipe out human kind

I'm sure the universe has witnessed far worse disasters. No big loss in the grand scheme of things.

The only way Labour could save the planet is by putting John Prescott in the way so it bounced back into space. "This calamity aversion sponsored by Pukka Pies".
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                If a rich person is supporting the Labour party they should be paying all their taxes without using any loopholes - maybe there should be a law that would basically require just that from MPs, ministers, big donors.
                Would that also apply if a rich person supports the Tories, and the Tories were in power?

Anyway, I guess the government are a bit worried now that they've annoyed one of their bigger donors. Which is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  I'm sure the universe has witnessed far worse disasters.
                  Indeed; the election result of 2nd May 1997 springs irresistably to mind.

Comment

Would that also apply if a rich person supports the Tories, and the Tories were in power?
                    Yes, why not? The difference (I hope) would be that Tories won't be such tax grabbing bastards like the Nu Liebour is.

CGT change won't raise much money anyway - I would not be suprised if they get even less than they projected because the big guys will change their tax affairs and avoid it.

Comment

Working...
                    X