• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starry starry night

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starry starry night

Chico, I looked up into the sky tonight and God's universe rained down upon me. The majesty of the Milky Way, the imperious Jupiter, and finally, the God of war, Mars. But there was a Mote in God's eye I fear.

I am wondering about all those little points of light. You know, the distant ones, over 6,000 light years from Earth. How can I see the photons from these things as they were over 6,000 years ago. Something must have happened to those little packets en route, I guess, speeded up beyond Warp 1, maybe. Einstein must be a little disappointed in that roll of the dice.

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
    Chico, I looked up into the sky tonight and God's universe rained down upon me. The majesty of the Milky Way, the imperious Jupiter, and finally, the God of war, Mars. But there was a Mote in God's eye I fear.

I am wondering about all those little points of light. You know, the distant ones, over 6,000 light years from Earth. How can I see the photons from these things as they were over 6,000 years ago. Something must have happened to those little packets en route, I guess, speeded up beyond Warp 1, maybe. Einstein must be a little disappointed in that roll of the dice.
    They probably got eaten by an anachronistic space dinosaur.

Comment

Hold on........118 118..." Patrick Moore ..... in London please"...............
      Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
        Hold on........118 118..." Patrick Moore ..... in London please"...............
        I suspect that God created the light too, so that what
        I see as light from over 6,000 years ago was in fact created by God to appear that way. There is a lot a mileage in this sort of argument.

You have to admit that your God likes planting apples - all these Scientists must be really kicking themselves as they walk through the gates of Hell.

Comment

Ah, now that one I can answer. Obviously when God created the Universe he sprinkled photons at random throughout it in directions (relative to the Earth) and with red shifts that would make doubting Thomases like you think they must have been emitted before 4004 BC.

OwlHoot in "Archbishop Ussher" mode

(Seriously, some creationists claim that geological evidence that suggests that mountain rocks were once under the sea etc were planted by Satan to confuse and mislead the faithful.)
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

simulation

We are all living in a computer simulation!

http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

Comment

Working...
            X