• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pretty Good New Guide for Dummies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty Good New Guide for Dummies

Probably one of the most useful ones I've seen yet. I think DCJ learned everything he knows about IT from it.

Read on... Dummies Guide to Computers

re: Pretty Good New Guide

Memories came flooding back when I saw this picture.

In 1976 I did an O-Level in Computer Studies and we were actually recommended to get this book as it provided a good overview.
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
      Probably one of the most useful ones I've seen yet. I think DCJ learned everything he knows about IT from it.
      Don't know about DCJ, but it could prove useful to me yet! Where can I get my copy?
      Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by ControlG
        Memories came flooding back when I saw this picture.

In 1976 I did an O-Level in Computer Studies and we were actually recommended to get this book as it provided a good overview.
        I was working at one blue chip in the late 1980s where very little seemed to have changed in the interim. They were still using coding pads and punch cards, and had only recently decomissioned their paper tape streamer.

Comment

I was working at one blue chip in the late 1980s where very little seemed to have changed in the interim. They were still using coding pads and punch cards, and had only recently decomissioned their paper tape streamer.
          Seriously: my current client has a book called 'An Introduction to BASIC', second edition, by M R Eagle (1976)

This is the public sector, so perhaps it's to be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
            Seriously: my current client has a book called 'An Introduction to BASIC', second edition, by M R Eagle (1976)

This is the public sector, so perhaps it's to be expected.
            Given the state of most public sector IT projects, perhaps you should recommend that they read it?

Comment

Given the state of most public sector IT projects, perhaps you should recommend that they read it?
              Given the state of the public sector, it would be more useful to suggest they learn to read.

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

The smell of punched cards and mylar tape in the morning!

And the racket made by the card punch and tape punch.

And those nice 250k 8 inch floppy diskettes.

Glory days...

Shouldn't you evolve into a bird now?
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                  Shouldn't you evolve into a bird now?
                  Don't be silly, birds were spontaneously created and Zeitghost has been planted here by Satan to deceive the non-believers.

Comment

Don't be silly, birds were spontaneously created and Zeitghost has been planted here by Satan to deceive the non-believers.
                    Is that non believers in the devil, alien liyard things or birds?
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X