• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

For those who have done Jury service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who have done Jury service

How many days did you serve?

up for the two week stint - 1st week got a 2 day trial then a 1 day trial - second week got let off. Had to be on standby the first week in between the trials but result for me.

Also got jail term tally to 5 years over those two trials

Comment

9 days in total.

First five days, called for two trials where the accused changed his plea at the last moment. Week two - four day rape trial, then excused the last day.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Two weeks.

First week, called for one trial but not selected (they call 15 jurors and select 12 at random from those).

Second week, called for one trial and selected. Trial lasted two days.

Was required to be present for all 10 days but spent 8 of them sat in the waiting room reading.

I was selected for jury service again about 18 months later, but you have a two year get out of jail free card once you have been selected and can duck out of being selected again without having to give a reason. Which I did, of course.
        Last edited by Lucifer Box; 2 April 2008, 13:06.

Comment

7 days.

Was put on a five day trial.
          It took 7 days.

Then I was discharged.

Comment

Jury service insurance?

How much do you get?

Is it based on 'salary' or invoice value lost?

T

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
              Jury service insurance?

How much do you get?

Is it based on 'salary' or invoice value lost?

T
              PCG do it, and it doshes out £300/day. Don't know the details though. Cheapest insurance is to stay off the electral roll I suppose, or failing that ignore any call up letter.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                PCG do it, and it doshes out £300/day. Don't know the details though. Cheapest insurance is to stay off the electral roll I suppose, or failing that ignore any call up letter.
                Staying off the electoral roll causes credit problems.

The second option is probably better. I mean things do get lost in the post.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

How badly does staying off the electoral roll cause credit problems ???

tell me....

I know its a factor but how big a factor ?

Comment

You people make me sick. Jury service is what helps the people to keep control of the justice. Would you have liked others to dodge this responsibility if YOU were accused of something serious?

Comment

Working...
                    X