• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract advice

Can anybody recommend a lawyer / advisor on contracts?

I'm currently working on my tax return, so firstly I need to figure out if my first agency contract was employment or self-employment. Secondly, I'd like to go through the contract to work out what terms I should accept and what I should reject when considering future contracts. I live in Croydon but anywhere in London would suit me just as well.

Also, what would be a reasonable fee for this type of consultation?

May I suggest ourselves...?

Our legal experts will examine either a current or proposed contract and give a completely independent appraisal, indicating potential risks, including indemnity provisions, intellectual property rights, restriction clauses and payment terms, and whether it will be deemed akin to a contract of employment or self-employment for the purposes of IR35.

'Dual-Purpose Review' - £360+vat
    Regards,
    James

Lawspeed Limited
    Any views or opinions expressed herein may be solely those of the originator and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Lawspeed or its Directors. Copyright © Lawspeed Limited 2007

Comment

Being as it's getting difficult to move around in London at the moment, maybe Brighton is a better idea anyway. I might take you up on that. I don't think £360 per contract is going to work for me though. With the short duration part-time contracts I'm looking at, that would eat up any savings I'd be making over IR35 anyway.

I guess I need a more general solution. Maybe I should take a preliminary discussion and go from there. How long does this take, and would I need to bring anything with me?

Comment

Preliminary Discussion / IR35 Status Review

All our services are usually provided remotely (through emailed written reports and/or telephone discussions).

The Dual-Purpose Review is designed to review the terms for commercial risk issues (e.g. payment terms, liabilities, onerous termination provisions etc) as well as IR35. If you are concerned by the £360+vat DPR rates then you could consider either:

1. Preliminary Discussion £30+vat - we shall give brief initial feedback on the actual nature of the work you are providing to see if this is capable of being structured outside IR35 (this is a brief email report or 10-15 minute telephone discussion following completion of a questionnaire). This does NOT include appraisal of the actual contract terms and is intended as a gateway service only.

2. IR35 Status Review £260+vat - formal legal opinion on the IR35 status of an engagement based on the contract terms themselves as well as actual working practices.
        Regards,
        James

Lawspeed Limited
        Any views or opinions expressed herein may be solely those of the originator and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Lawspeed or its Directors. Copyright © Lawspeed Limited 2007

Comment

Working...
        X