• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interest on Company bank account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest on Company bank account

My bank (Abbey Business) deducts tax for the small amount of interest earned each month in my current account and annually for the amount in my deposit account.

In my end of year accounts (ending Nov 2007) the accountant included interest in the income figures. My query is that surely this means I am paying tax on it twice?

I've been trying to get an explanation from the accountant but as usual its not too clear what's going on.

Is the problem that the bank shouldn't be deducting the interest at all?

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
    My bank (Abbey Business) deducts tax for the small amount of interest earned each month in my current account and annually for the amount in my deposit account.

In my end of year accounts (ending Nov 2007) the accountant included interest in the income figures. My query is that surely this means I am paying tax on it twice?

I've been trying to get an explanation from the accountant but as usual its not too clear what's going on.

Abbey have got it wrong - they did the same to me. A few dozen phone calls to their help line may get it sorted. BUT if they don't refund it before the end of the tax year, you need to offset it from the CT that your company pays next year, which is a PITA.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post

You should be paid ineterst GROSS on your business bank account then include that interest in your income in accounts and pay tax accordingly.

Comment

You put it in Box 6, but claim the tax in box 84 of the CT600 (short).
        I did mine yesterday.

Comment

Working...
        X