• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile Tarriff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Tarriff

Currently I have a 15Gb mobile boadband with Vodafone - business contract.

and PAYG on O2 on my HTC PDA/SatNav/PPC thingie with a £7.50 data-pack
    I pay for the top-ups on my credit card for the company and reclaim.

I was thinking it may be better / tidyer but not sure if it would be cheaper to go for a contract via the business. But it does seem that business contracts seem to be more epensive than personal contracts.

I don't use the mobile that much - I only use ~£10 calls & texts + data per month.

What do you guys and gals do ? recommend ?

Just some questions .. as I need a proper mobile internet ...

How fast is the mobile phone internet ? I mean to navigate the BBC website ? is it 3G or GPRMS ?? can u use the internet anywhere or only at hotspots ??

Also did you go for that Vodaphone USB Modem stick ? how did u find using it ? is it only at Wi-fi hotspots or can it be used anywhere in the country ? Also can this USB Modem stick be used anywhere in Spain whilst roaming ?

cheers !! sorry to ask questions but I am at a loss with the bull that is out there in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
      J
      How fast is the mobile phone internet ? I mean to navigate the BBC website ? is it 3G or GPRMS ?? can u use the internet anywhere or only at hotspots ??
      7.2Mbps - which is faster than my home broadband link - gets coverage most places - both my home office and client sites have coverage.

Hotspots are only really for WiFi - which I'm not using.

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
      J
      Also did you go for that Vodaphone USB Modem stick ? how did u find using it ? is it only at Wi-fi hotspots or can it be used anywhere in the country ? Also can this USB Modem stick be used anywhere in Spain whilst roaming ?
      I got the PC Express / PCMCIA Card

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatc...pageID=BS_0035

- because I was already using one before on PAYG and have a Backup router that takes one.

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatc...pageID=BS_0202

I have added the full blown Vodafone Access software from their site to force it to HSDPA otherwise it seems to spend its life on GPRS - which is so slow.

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatc...036&tabIndex=2

As long as you force it to UMTS HSDPA then its really quick and very usable.

Wifi is a different entity - its the same as a wireless router - but a public routers in hotspots.

GPRS uses 2G GSM phone network, HSDPA used 3G UMTS network.
      Not all 3G networks support HSDPA everywhere, especially out in the sticks.
      Not all areas have 3G coverage at all.
      Wifi is very limited (100 yards) the same as a wireless router.
      Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 2 April 2008, 17:55.

Comment

Working...
      X