• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Personal Debt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal Debt

personal debt

Hmm....
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 April 2008, 07:07.
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    subscription required?

Gist?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

it opened fine for me from the mainland, maybe subscription is a uk thang

what an article !!!

there may be trouble ahead

Milan.

Comment

For most of the last decade, consumers here went on a debt-financed spending spree that made them the most indebted rich nation in the world.
        An indebted rich nation? Isn't that really just a poor nation that's living on debt?

Doomed indeed. I'm so glad this is unravelling with Labour in charge it's just a shame Bliar got away with it.

As in the United States, a decade-long housing boom and strong economic growth bolstered consumer confidence, creating a perception of wealth almost unknown in countries like Germany and Italy
        Yep, that's all it was.

Comment

The trouble is here, I'm trying to sell a bottom rung terrace and had two sales fall through just as the credit problems were hitting. Now not a sign of a buyer or even a viewer, there are no 100% mortages for FTBs anymore and the BTL mortgages have also been withdrawn to all but those with large deposits. Thus a housing slump ( petty sure will be a crash ! ) is here and I think that will bring the economy down in itself. Add in the US situation ( they claim it's all fixed ) and we are indeed Uber Doomed !!!

Comment

My villa for sale in Cyprus has fallen through. Seems the buyer was relying on a Cypriot mortgage (and not a cash buyer as I thought) and they have tightened the lending criteria so much the buyer could not afford the deposit now required.

Doomed mate. Might have to just piss off there and watch Britain crumble from the comfort of my swimming pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              subscription required?

Gist?
              The NY Times requires a free registration. I certainly haven't paid them any dosh.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                My villa for sale in Cyprus
                Whereabouts is it?

I had the most wonderful contract once, it entailed sitting by/in the pool of a hotel near Paphos, posting to this (or was it the previous) board from a laptop wrapped in a surgical waste bag, and proof-reading/correcting a pile of cryptography books that the client, a publisher, was going to publish/reprint.

Keep thinking of going back, this time for a holiday.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  (and not a cash buyer as I thought)
                  How many times have I heard that before, including recently muttered by myself

I expect the foreign housing markets relying on UK money will be hit hard.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    It opened for me with no problems.
                    Me too now I'm at work - wierd...
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X