• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plumbing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plumbing

I think it's time for those on the bench to re-consider taking up plumbing.

Have called around for a plumber to fix a toilet with a dodgy flush mechanism. No one is interested. Too busy. Call back in 6 months. Will fix it for a grand.

Can't find any Polish plumbers. All the plumbers in the phone book are English and drive £70K cars.

Boomed!

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Can't find any Polish plumbers. All the plumbers in the phone book are English and drive £70K cars.
    Lots of Polish plumbers don't speak English well enough to run a business.

Therefore they have to use an English speaking plumber to get work.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The old plumbing threads resurfacing

The other day I had to pay a total of £ 150 for an electrician to check and replace some fuses that were blown up. 1st visit £ 100 (45 m) - 2nd visit £ 50 (20 m). Did it straight away though, as it was an emergency.
      Everyone in Central London is a local man - no foreigners.
      Poles etc seem to work as sub-contractors for larger projects, very few deal with residentials i am being told.

Comment

Have called around for a plumber to fix a toilet with a dodgy flush mechanism. No one is interested. Too busy. Call back in 6 months. Will fix it for a grand.

Boomed!

This is my plan B
        It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Dunno, are you all flipping hopeless, can't you fix it yourself? Even if it's your first time and you have to buy all the tools, and end up buying a whole new toilet, it's cheaper.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I live next to a family of plumbers.

They are not raking in as much cash as you think they are.

So its costs £100 for a 45 min visit. He'll probably spend close to that going to the next job.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
              Dunno, are you all flipping hopeless, can't you fix it yourself? Even if it's your first time and you have to buy all the tools, and end up buying a whole new toilet, it's cheaper.
              No, it's cheaper for me to invoice large and pay someone else to do it.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                I am banned from DIY. Always ends up like an old episode of Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  No, it's cheaper for me to invoice large and pay someone else to do it.
                  That's OK I guess. I enjoy spending my free-time doing such stuff. Although, saying that, when I let a house to the battered wives and they kept blocking the waste pipe, the third time with the rods made even me wonder if there might be a reason they were battered, it was that bad.

So when I felt it started to loosen up I let my bro' take over and catch the back blast..
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Boomed!
                    It's very simple to fit new flushing mechanism to a toilet. Maybe cost £10. Any DIY store will sell what you need together with instructions.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2repairtoilet

I can't see you lasting 6 months. I'd be getting desperate after a day or so.

As a last resort, there's probably a benched contractor who would fix it cheap.

Comment

Working...
                    X