• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BoE warns on mortgage rush as Co-op Bank pulls best deals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By Emma Thelwell
    Last Updated: 2:40pm BST 03/04/2008

The Bank of England has warned that banks will withdraw more mortgage deals in the coming months, as the Co-op Bank today become the latest lender to pull the plug on its best deals.

In its quarterly survey of credit conditions, the central bank reported that banks have said they plan a "slightly larger" reduction in mortgages in the next three months than we have seen so far this year.

The news came as the Co-op announced that its whole range of 2-year fixed rate products will no longer be available from close of play today.

John Barker, head of mortgages at The Co-op, said: "We have recently provided a range of very competitive mortgage deals, which have included a number of 'best buy' two-year mortgages.

"This has led to unprecedented levels of customer interest and demand, which has been fuelled further by the recent actions of other lenders to reprice and withdraw their products." (AtW's translation: "we have run out of risky budget and don't want desperate people to have our money")

Indeed, since the beginning of March, 2,932 deals have been taken off the market, according to financial information group Moneyfacts.co.uk, leaving just 4,794 deals left.

First Direct, HSBC's internet bank, pulled out of new lending completely on Tuesday. One of the country's top 20 mortgage providers, it gave only five hours notice that it was closing to new business.

Katie Tucker, of mortgage broker Charcol, said: "There is almost no notice of product closures, as lenders are reacting to the domino effect: others pack up shop, they suddenly find themselves market leading and have to pull down their shutters quick-smart."

This means borrowers are being caught out by hesitation, even, for just one day, she added. If the next best choice is 0.4pc higher, for example, hesitating could cost a customer with a £200,000 mortgage as much as £800 a year.

The Co-op has said that the withdrawal of 2-year deals is a "temporary" measure, and that it will continue to offer a range of competitive 3, 5,10 and 25-year mortgages to both new and existing customers.

Mr Barker said: "These products will be developed further, as they fit strongly with our strategy of creating long-term customer relationships."

As the credit squeeze makes it increasingly difficult for lenders to raise finance, the mortgage market is widely expected to tighten even further as lenders who have not re-priced become overwhelmed by demand.

Three-month Libor - the benchmark rate at which banks lend to each other - closed last night at 6pc - some three-quarters of a percent above the base rate. Ms Tucker said: "This forces any lender with a half decent rate to price their trackers high to avoid the stampede of new borrowers looking for the best deal."

---

What should have happened 5-7 years ago is creation of a few legal limits on how much can be borrowed to buy a house (min 25% deposit, max 3-4 times NET salary), also complete ban on "teaser" low interest rates for 2-3 years, no interest-only morgages - maximum length of morgage should have been fixed (you can repay faster, but not slower), say 15-20 years.

If this was in place this country would not have had a property bubble.

I was lucky I got in with First Direct I had been putting off sorting it out but finally did the application over the phone the day before they pulled it for new customers . You dont want be remortgaging at the moment the deals out there are cr*p

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      What should have happened 5-7 years ago is creation of a few legal limits on how much can be borrowed to buy a house (min 25% deposit, max 3-4 times NET salary), also complete ban on "teaser" low interest rates for 2-3 years, no interest-only morgages - maximum length of morgage should have been fixed (you can repay faster, but not slower), say 15-20 years.

If this was in place this country would not have had a property bubble.

This would have largely prevented the current situation, provided people did not find ways around it. Problem is, we would have seen sob stories on TV and the like about the poor FTB's, upgraders et al who cannot borrow enough for their first home, next home....They would cry 'How can we save this much deposit!!!'....'If only we can borrow 5 x' and the like. The banks would also be lobbying to lend more.

I was reading stories from within the industry boosting about how they were enabling more people to get on the ladder with all these gimicks - teasers, int only, shared equity, and similar crap. It just forced up prices and in the end the chickens are coming to roost, and I think this is very serious for many people. Could be worse than the '90s housing downturn.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
        This would have largely prevented the current situation, provided people did not find ways around it.
        I don't think you can get around that easily.

Naturally Nu Liebor did not want to prevent housing bubble - it was perfect ground for bastard Brown because he could tax and spend, while people felt everything was good because their asset "value" was growing up very quickly. A cynical strategy that is really dereliction of duty if not treason - Her Majesty should have really intervened and ofer her loyal armed forces to take Nu Liebour politicians where they belong - prison.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
          This would have largely prevented the current situation, provided people did not find ways around it. Problem is, we would have seen sob stories on TV and the like about the poor FTB's, upgraders et al who cannot borrow enough for their first home, next home....They would cry 'How can we save this much deposit!!!'....'If only we can borrow 5 x' and the like. The banks would also be lobbying to lend more.

Before the bubble started I know people who happily could afford 95% mortgages which where 3 and 3.5 times their salary simply because property prices weren't ridiculous. They also didn't re-mortgage every 2 years.

BTW is moneyfacts talking about 2 year fixed deals? I was watching a business program the other day apparently last summer there were approx. 15,000 mortgage products in 1993 there were approximately 5,500 products. So it's kind of expected that the number of mortgage products will decrease.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Before the bubble
            Do you like my squirrel Sue? It's red squirrel with tufts

Comment

Do you like my squirrel Sue? It's red squirrel with tufts
              Red squirrels are cute.

Grey squirrels are vermin. (Mainly cos they are American.)

Comment

Red squirrels are cute.

Grey squirrels are vermin. (Mainly cos they are American.)
                Greys are also cute, but I hate to say that squirrels should have tufts

Comment

Greys are also cute, but I hate to say that squirrels should have tufts
                  vermin

Comment

vermin
                    You should look on the inside, not the outside Sue

Comment

Working...
                    X