• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What makes this housing down turn different

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes this housing down turn different

US prices are now down average of 10% in one year. If this is mirrored in the UK, and let's face it prices are going to plummet big time, it is very serious, way worse than the 90's.

Why, because in the late 80's early '90's, interest rates were much higher and mortgage rates halved by 1995, allowing the market to re-ignite. Negative equity was less of a problem then, as although negative equity mortgagees could not re-mortgage with other banks, they would be on a steadily falling standard rate. Overall their pain would be falling.

Now it's different in the wrong way. Morgage rates are now higher and will stay high. The artifically low rates that enabled people to over borrow to buy overpriced houses are gone. With negative equity they cannot remortgage, when their fixed terms end. Interest only meant they never repaid a % of capital. Technically many will be insolvent. They will be forced onto their lenders standard rate which could see sub primers paying 9%. Many, maybe 1m will foreclose and be homeless. Another 2m people will see their payments skyrocket by 50%. This will make the 90's downturn look like a cakewalk.

I think the govenment will have to nationalise a large chunk of the housing stock. Maybe they can buy out the BTL sector, of which many a punter will be wiped out if prices fall 20%. A return to council housing by the back door you could say.

I'd say prices need to go down at least 50% to be sensible, probably more in London.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      I'd say prices need to go down at least 50% to be sensible, probably more in London.
      50% is actually quite a reasonable figure. For me, this would be the nominal reduction based on peak prices in late 2007. However, the Pound will continue to see a significant inflation during 2008 leading to extreme pressure on wages.

Comment

You still won't be able to afford any. Perhaps if they go down 99.94% you might have a chance.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY View Post
          However, the Pound will continue to see a significant inflation during 2008 leading to extreme pressure on wages.
          No chance - nobody will have a job as it will have all gone to low cost countries.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY View Post
            50% is actually quite a reasonable figure. For me, this would be the nominal reduction based on peak prices in late 2007. However, the Pound will continue to see a significant inflation during 2008 leading to extreme pressure on wages.
            I agree - 50% down would be okay prices, to be honest given panic it will create I think some places will be down by over 60% - effectively, because I think we will see combination of falling prices AND wage inflation, that's really the only way out to avoid really big crash, say if prices go down by 30% and then wage inflation will effectively cancel out another 15-20% then maybe things will be back to normal.

Comment

I agree - 50% down would be okay prices, to be honest given panic it will create I think some places will be down by over 60% - effectively, because I think we will see combination of falling prices AND wage inflation, that's really the only way out to avoid really big crash, say if prices go down by 30% and then wage inflation will effectively cancel out another 15-20% then maybe things will be back to normal.
              If that happens, and well before that actually, punters will be returning the keys back on mass and walking away. I think the govt will have to step in and start buying up these houses from the banks. Like I said, it's back to the future with council houses. Could have some strange effects if they take over some of those swanky city appts such as in Docklands. When the chavs move in it will demolish any remaining value, leading to a cascade as every owner and BTL'er quits. They will become the new council tower blocks

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                If that happens, and well before that actually, punters will be returning the keys back on mass and walking away. I think the govt will have to step in and start buying up these houses from the banks.
                Govt has got no money. Punters will have to pay 8-9% interest rate or lose their house. This will certainly mean they will have to take a cut to living standards - BoE chairman already mentioned that will happen, people are just not paying attention.

Comment

Yes, the government would never do such a sensible thing as buy cheap houses and put poor people in them. More likely they would dish out grants and loans for private landlords to buy them and then rent back to the government.

Comment

Like I say: 80%, and that's not todays prices, but when I first said it years ago.

But keep voting Liebor!

threaded in "the good Lord did not make them sheep if he did not want them sheared" mode
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X