• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London dirty, expensive but the best nightlife

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London dirty, expensive but the best nightlife

http://www.tripadvisor.com/PressCent..._Releases.html

European Travel Strong in '08 as 50 Percent of Americans Trekking Across the Pond This Year

TripAdvisor Survey Reveals Best and Worst of Europe

NEEDHAM, Mass., March 11 /PRNewswire/ -- TripAdvisor®, the world's largest travel community, today announced the results of its annual European travel survey, concluded last week, of more than 1,400 travelers worldwide. Sixty-five percent of respondents are planning to travel to/within Europe in the next 12 months, nearly equal to last year. Despite the weak dollar, exactly half of U.S. respondents intend to visit Europe this year, the same amount as one year ago.

September appears to be the busiest month for travel in Europe this year, as 20 percent of respondents intend to visit at that time. Thirty percent of travelers said they are most likely to save money on their excursion to or within Europe by going off-peak. Forty-two percent of travelers (and 51 percent of Americans) expect to spend more money on this year's trip to Europe than on their previous trip there.

Survey revealed:

Best Bargain European Cities:
    1. Prague
    2. Budapest
    3. Lisbon

Most Expensive European Cities:
    1. London
    2. Paris
    3. Rome

European Cities with the Most Friendly and Helpful Locals:
    1. Dublin
    2. Amsterdam
    3. London

European Cities with the Best Cuisine:
    1. Paris
    2. Rome
    3. Florence

European Cities with the Best Shopping:
    1. Paris
    2. London
    3. Rome

European Cities with the Best Night Life:
    1. London
    2. Amsterdam
    3. Paris

European Cities with the Best Public Parks:
    1. London
    2. Paris
    3. Barcelona, Amsterdam (tie)

Most Romantic European Cities:
    1. Paris
    2. Venice
    3. Rome

European Cities with the Most Attractive Locals:
    1. Rome
    2. Paris
    3. Stockholm

Cleanest European Cities:
    1. Zurich
    2. Copenhagen
    3. Stockholm

Dirtiest European Cities:
    1. London
    2. Paris
    3. Rome

European Cities with the Most Unfriendly Hosts:
    1. Paris
    2. London
    3. Moscow

Most Boring European Cities:
    1. Brussels
    2. Zurich
    3. Warsaw

"Americans are still drawn to Europe, despite unfavorable exchange rates and economic concerns," said Michele Perry, director of communications for TripAdvisor. "Although the best bargain European city may be Prague, according to the survey, the most popular European city to visit this year is also considered the most expensive -- London."
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

As voted for by septic tourists........

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
      European Cities with the Most Attractive Locals:
      1. Rome
      A bit tulipy footy team though...

Comment

London's the second most unfriendly and the third most friendly. Nicely paradoxical.

Comment

I'd argue with a lot of that but how the fc uk Amsterdam can make #2 on a night-life list is beyond me. I lived there, so think I've a decent idea and to be honest - it isn't all that. Especially if you're not Dutch and you try to get in anywhere without any women ...

Unless the red light district counts as night-life ...

And why isn't Berlin mentioned in that list either. :-/
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

London doesn't feature in the list of most attractive locals - probably couldn't find any locals in London!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              A bit tulipy footy team though...
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Crap! Why is Berlin not in the top 3 for nightlife - I would put it a close second behind London.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Crap! Why is Berlin not in the top 3 for nightlife - I would put it a close second behind London.
                  Remember that this is survey from tourists. Nightlife in Berlin is surely good but from a tourist point of view I have heard that it's quite difficult to find the right places and I also heard that many places have a selection process to let people in, prioritising locals and usual customers (pretty much as in Rome too) thus making nightlife quite difficult for tourists really.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
                    Remember that this is survey from tourists. Nightlife in Berlin is surely good but from a tourist point of view I have heard that it's quite difficult to find the right places and I also heard that many places have a selection process to let people in, prioritising locals and usual customers (pretty much as in Rome too) thus making nightlife quite difficult for tourists really.
                    And you reckon Amsterdam is any easier?
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                    X