• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ripoff or what?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ripoff or what?

EU study of prices in different countries (2005):

A large 2 litre bottle of Coca Cola
    UK £1.13, France 78p
    Colgate toothpaste
    UK £1.28, Spain 76p
    Drinking chocolate
    UK £1.02, Germany 52p
    A bottle of Evian
    UK 99p, France 44p
    Ground coffee
    UK £1.29, Germany 80p
    Butter
    UK £1.02, Netherlands 84p
    Full fat milk
    UK £1.33, Spain 78p

Tell me again how the EU is making prices in Britain so high.

That said, the price of foodstuff varied significantly between countries. For example, cornflakes were cheaper in the UK than in most other EU countries, as were Mars bars and granulated sugar.

I think our transport costs and tax regimen may have something to do with higher prices.

Comment

But that was 2005. Just shows how overvalued the pound was. Wait until we hit par with the euro and check again.
      The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
        But that was 2005. Just shows how overvalued the pound was. Wait until we hit par with the euro and check again.
        We'll probably be more than twice as expensive by then.
        It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          EU study of prices in different countries (2005):
          <snip>That said, the price of foodstuff varied significantly between countries. For example, cornflakes were cheaper in the UK than in most other EU countries, as were Mars bars and granulated sugar.
          Having lived and worked and holiday'd in a great deal of the mainland I have been telling people this for years.
          The UK has been consistantly conned by interested parties twisting the facts.
          You have partly shown how.
          Most things are cheaper in Europe. The things that are more expensive are the branded products or particularly British products.
          If you just compare butter or milk then you find out how expensive the UK is, but if you check kellogs cornflakes or branston or haggis then the UK seems cheap.
          The shopping basket used by HMG to compare prices contains.........?
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
            Having lived and worked and holiday'd in a great deal of the mainland I have been telling people this for years.
            The UK has been consistantly conned by interested parties twisting the facts.
            You have partly shown how.
            Most things are cheaper in Europe. The things that are more expensive are the branded products or particularly British products.
            If you just compare butter or milk then you find out how expensive the UK is, but if you check kellogs cornflakes or branston or haggis then the UK seems cheap.
            The shopping basket used by HMG to compare prices contains.........?
            Humph. I always thought of silverskin pickeld onions as peculiarly British (don't ask me why I want them). They have dropped off the shelf in the UK now, but I just popped into a little Alber Heijn in NL and found 3 different kinds, including the budget line at 0.29c.

Comment

Humph. I always thought of silverskin pickeld onions as peculiarly British (don't ask me why I want them). They have dropped off the shelf in the UK now, but I just popped into a little Alber Heijn in NL and found 3 different kinds, including the budget line at 0.29c.

I get them all the time from the supermarket........

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
                I get them all the time from the supermarket........
                Which one? I go to Tesco and Waitrose, and neither have the really tiny silverskin onions any more (except at Christmas, bizarrely), just ordinary pickled onions.

But perhaps we digress from the thread....

Comment

Which one? I go to Tesco and Waitrose, and neither have the really tiny silverskin onions any more (except at Christmas, bizarrely), just ordinary pickled onions.

But perhaps we digress from the thread....

Morrisons.....I have them with the cheese & bacon loaded potato skins that I have once a week

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                    The things that are more expensive are the branded products or particularly British products.

That's so they can still rip off the expats that buy this stuff out of sentimentality, or because they're accustomed to the taste so think those products are superior.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X