• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SKA claims its first victim

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SKA claims its first victim

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...gle.technology

Surely AtW was the first long-suffering victim of it?
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

They acquired DoubleClick!

So much for Don't be Evil

I recommend: 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I recommend Firefox with the NoScript add-on....
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          I recommend Firefox with the NoScript add-on....
          Noscript helps but you'll still end up with DoubleClick cookies.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Ah - right, will use spybot more regularly, then...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Ah - right, will use spybot more regularly, then...
              Never found a use for SpyBot.

Just edit your 'hosts' file and add the line:

127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

That will cause any DNS requests from your browser to resolve the 'ad.doubleclick.net' URL to 'localhost'.

There are tons of other parasites that can be dealt with in this way.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                Never found a use for SpyBot.

Just edit your 'hosts' file and add the line:

127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

That will cause any DNS requests from your browser to resolve the 'ad.doubleclick.net' URL to 'localhost'.

There are tons of other parasites that can be dealt with in this way.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file
                Just had a look at mine and there are probably 500-1000 127.0.0.1 entries which I didn't add, maybe thats what spybot does with them?
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  Just had a look at mine and there are probably 500-1000 127.0.0.1 entries which I didn't add, maybe thats what spybot does with them?
                  Yes but it's not a good idea to add everything to hosts. Just bogs things down.

Comment

Working...
                  X