• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Japanese firms face penalties for overweight staff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese firms face penalties for overweight staff

Measuring Japan's older Workers

Can you imagine being forced by the government to undergo blood tests, take prescription medications (with controversial safety and effectiveness), and lose weight until your waist measures less than 33.5 inches ... or lose your job? This is not an April Fool’s joke, but a very disturbing story. Today, the Japanese government institutes its compulsory “flab checks” for all workers over the age of 40.

To stem Japan’s “soaring obesity,” the health ministry has mandated that all waistlines among its 56 million workers over age 40 be below “regulation size” of 33.5 inches (for men). Any company failing to bring its employees’ weight under control — as well as the weights of their family members — will be fined up to 10% of its earnings by the government.

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com...d-in-japan.html

Could do with that here, hey Churchill!?
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      Pot? Kettle?
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown
        33.5 inches (for men).
        LOL - I think the last time I was that size I was 12. A fashionable 38 is much smarter.

Comment

Is there a special dispensation for the Sumo's?

Comment

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/us...07/liver_0.jpg
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
              Measuring Japan's older Workers

Can you imagine being forced by the government to undergo blood tests, take prescription medications (with controversial safety and effectiveness), and lose weight until your waist measures less than 33.5 inches ... or lose your job? This is not an April Fool’s joke, but a very disturbing story. Today, the Japanese government institutes its compulsory “flab checks” for all workers over the age of 40.

To stem Japan’s “soaring obesity,” the health ministry has mandated that all waistlines among its 56 million workers over age 40 be below “regulation size” of 33.5 inches (for men). Any company failing to bring its employees’ weight under control — as well as the weights of their family members — will be fined up to 10% of its earnings by the government.

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com...d-in-japan.html
              I did not read anything about the workers losing their jobs over this from the articles I saw. It's more like a big brother health check, maybe like they plan for the NHS to do here, with talk about screening for all over 40's.

Sounds like typical unworkable political nonsence. Bin fodder.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                I did not read anything about the workers losing their jobs over this from the articles I saw. It's more like a big brother health check, maybe like they plan for the NHS to do here, with talk about screening for all over 40's.

Sounds like typical unworkable political nonsence. Bin fodder.
                Well the government is trying to do something about it before obesity takes over, they are trying to save their money....
                Look what happened here, the government did nothing and let people get so fat, now we all have to pay more taxes to treat the obese.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                  Don't start having a go at me, chubs!

Your waist is what size?

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
                    Well the government is trying to do something about it before obesity takes over, they are trying to save their money....
                    Look what happened here, the government did nothing and let people get so fat, now we all have to pay more taxes to treat the obese.
                    taxes paid by the taxpayer

Comment

Working...
                    X