• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Council bring couple to their knees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By A Scotland Correspondent
    A COUPLE who are too tall for their house condemned councillors yesterday for refusing them permission to make it bigger.

Brian and Fiona Culbert, who are 6ft 10in and 6ft, can not stand up in their house in Lumphanan, Aberdeenshire. Mr Culbert, 36, a groundsman, has to get down on his hands and knees to shave or to get into the shower. Mrs Culbert, a social worker, has to stoop to reach the cooker and to do the dishes.

But their plans for an extension have been rejected by Aberdeenshire councillors who decided that the style of the building was not in keeping with the area and disputed claims that the application fell under its disability policy.

Mrs Culbert, 31, said: “Our health could be at risk if we’re not allowed to do something about the house. We don’t want a fancy extension; we just want somewhere that’s big enough for us to stand up in. It’s not much to ask.”

The Culberts realised their dream of moving into a remote farm steading three years ago. They bought goats, sheep and chickens and instantly fell in love with the pace of country life. They soon realised, however, that the house was not big enough.

They thought that an extension, with a square mansard roof which would allow them to stand up, was the answer. They waited 18 months for the development plans, which include a new bathroom, kitchen and utility room, to go through the planning process.

Mrs Culbert, who has two young sons, said: “If the boys take after us and shoot up in height we’re scuppered. We’re really settled here and don’t want to to leave but we’re going to have to come up with some kind of solution.”

Rosemary McIlwhan, director of the Scottish Centre for Human Rights, said that families had a right to enjoy their home. “The council needs to have a very good reason for not allowing this extension,” she said.

Councillor Marcus Humphrey, 6ft 2in and chairman of the Marr area committee, said: “We have sympathy but planning laws are planning laws. There are alternatives and the whole point is that these can be investigated and the couple can come back to us.”

Councillor Jenny Watson, the shortest committee member at 5ft, said that claims that the family’s application fell under the council’s disability policy were “stretching it a bit”.

“If I was 6ft 10in I wouldn’t have to take a run and jump for stuff in the supermarket rather than wait for somebody tall to come along and take it down. The world is made for tall people,” she said.

“I have a friend who is 6ft 7in and he’s never had a problem getting a house that’s big enough; you just buy a bigger house.”

------

WTF -- surely there are minimum height standards in housing, and surely the ceiling can't be lower than 7 ft? Good thing we are not all as tall as Spod

well done buddy, that is probably the least interesting story I have heard this week!
    And I do work with some bores here! Takes some beating!

"should try harder" indeed.....
    Chico, what time is it?

Comment

surely the ceiling can't be lower than 7 ft?
      Perhaps he walks around all day in high-heels, and she gets about on a pogo stick.

I can see 7 ft being a bit small then.

Comment

Councillor Jenny Watson, the shortest committee member at 5ft, said that claims that the family’s application fell under the council’s disability policy were “stretching it a bit”.

“If I was 6ft 10in I wouldn’t have to take a run and jump for stuff in the supermarket rather than wait for somebody tall to come along and take it down. The world is made for tall people,” she said.
        I think I can see where this decision is coming from - this shortarse obviously has a bee in her bonnet.

Comment

I can sympathise. The house we had in the sticks outside Aberdeen had low ceilings and doorways. My parents took the step of digging down, to lower the floors when they were doing their house up.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Another one near Aberdeen. Are they mostly dwarves up there then?

Comment

It sounds like they've bought a nice twee farm/cottage.

Serves the pretentious twats right, they should've bought a proper house!

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                Another one near Aberdeen. Are they mostly dwarves up there then?

Have you never seen houses with low seeings and sub 6ft doorways in England?
                People were small a century or two ago
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

They could always knock two rooms into one. Problem is with the 14' ceilings
                  Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                    People were small a century or two ago
                    Yes, and they were also bright enough NOT to buy a house they couldn't get into.

If these people wanted high ceilings then why did they buy a rabbit hutch?

Comment

Working...
                    X