• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scumbag agent report

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scumbag agent report

Bashed my CV off on Thursday evening for something I think I am capable of.

11 a.m. in the middle of an O/S upgrade within a well arranged time slot, agent rings me up and we agree that he'll call me at 3 p.m. Fine so far.

By 3 p.m. I have worked out who the end customer is and where I would be working, and am aware that the job might not be direct, but some smaller outfit local to them. Fine so far.

When the agent called me I told him that I had done some research and was happy to work for company XYZ. His assumption was that I was trying to cut out the middle man, the middle man obviously being him, but it wasn't true, as I am quite happy to let an agent take a modest cut if I get a decent rate and paid on time.

Anyway, the agent turned nasty and told me I'm not qualified for the job. I dug deeper, and found the word for word job description available on the end client's site.

Oh, I must resist the temptation to put the knife in.

I might not get the gig, but I have only been turned down once in the last twenty years once I have managed to get a proper interview, and this tulipbag has tried to deny me that opportunity.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

IMO be very careful. Looks like you could go direct or use another agent - but the last think you want is agent sticking their oar in.

I lost a job in 1990 due to similar circumstances to which you face. Clients don't like to mediate between agents - they would rather get in a different person.

Comment

You should have just said 'sorry not interested' and applied for the job anyway, what would be the chances that he would have ever found out that you got the job anyway and also it would be his word against yours after you secured the job.

Comment

You've probably blown it, but us know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
          You've probably blown it, but us know what happens.
          What I have decided to do is apply for a slightly different job at the same client. We shall see what happens.

PS - it's far better to have a moan here than start firing off snotogram emails
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Clients don't like to mediate between agents - they would rather get in a different person.
            Only when one candidate is pretty much the same as another.

Some clients I've worked with operate on the basis that, in the event of duplicate submission, they'll use the agent whose CV got to their desk first.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
            X