• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC bullying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC bullying

And the no sh!t Sherlock award goes to...

NIM39140 - National Insurance Numbers (NINOs): Format and Security: What to do if you suspect or discover fraud

WTF...

Comment

They ought to privitise it, and allow people to sue.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

That guy's website needs to come with a (computer) health warning
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

"HMRC enjoys draconian powers over taxpayers. Investigations can be started at random, without evidence of wrongdoing. If a “discovery” is made, the previous 20 years of a taxpayers’ finances can come under scrutiny. HMRC can levy hefty fines for offences as simple as late payment - and the burden is on the taxpayer to prove his or her innocence"

Surely they can only look back for 6-7 years?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            Surely they can only look back for 6-7 years?
            Thats only IR35 investigations.
            Last edited by The Lone Gunman; 6 April 2008, 14:10.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Thought only beyond 6 years if fraud suspected when normal rules of proof for criminal proceeding must surely apply. Their own rules only require you to keep records for six years and until fairly recently it was less than that, 22 months after your tax return submission from memory.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                Thats only IR35 investigations.
                But if rules require to keep documentation only for 6 years, then clearly the burden of proving anything falls upon them as you can legitimately say that you are not required to offer any documents past that date?

Comment

Better picking on that guy than on me.

Comment

clearly the burden of proving anything falls upon them
                    Aw, bless. It might have been that way in the Lubyanka, but you're in Brown's Britain now!

Comment

Working...
                    X