• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Basic Advice on Contracting Needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Advice on Contracting Needed

Hi,

I'm currently looking to get info on Contracting work as I know very little at the moment. Can anybody tell me the best way to go about working towards contract work, what I should do and where to start etc?

Also can anybody recommend agencies that can assist with all of the necessary paperwork and info on how the IR35 can affect things, as well as agencies that would provide work.

Thanks.

You better read this website before asking this question which would require 600 pages of explanation.

Also, you should check www.jobserve.com and get in touch with some agencies.

We don't know the good agencies since we never came across any of them. We know the bad ones which are the majority... the bigger they are, the worst.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Also can anybody recommend agencies that can assist with all of the necessary paperwork and info on how the IR35 can affect things
      Probably best advise for you, agencies are not your friend, they are just companies out to make money for themselves, nothing nessarly wrong with that, you should be the same, but it is something you should always be aware of.

So do not go to them for advice, even if they did know what they are talking about (very rare!!) they are unlikely to give you impartial advice, instead they will advise you to do what suits them not what suits you.

While these two ends might not nessarly be conflicting it is best to assume they are till you know for sure

Read the main part of this site, also the PCG site and if you have any questions after that, ask on the apropriate board here.

Your main initial stop for the contract hunting will be as said above, jobserve

Comment

> advise

Advice

AtW in "Fl33w00d1976" mode!

Comment

Read this first then come back with any specific questions you might have....

http://www.contractoruk.com/first_timers/index.html

Comment

See...this is the problem with this new board.....this thread was actually moderately useful to the original poster......by the 4th post of this thread, I'd have expected it to turn into a discussion about lesbians with hairy armpits on a mission in South America to convince the rebels to release hostages in Columbia, so that they can be forced to join the ever so sacred Mormon Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints....followed by abuse of Chico or Franco or whatever.......sad to say I'm very disappointed.
            Last edited by Crown Royal; 21 July 2005, 06:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Crown Royal
              See...this is the problem with this new board.....this thread was actually moderately useful to the original poster......by the 4th post of this thread, I'd have expected it to turn into a discussion about lesbians with hairy armpits on a mission in South America to convince the rebels to release hostages in Columbia, so that they can be forced to join the ever so sacred Mormon Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints....followed by abuse of Chico or Franco or whatever.......sad to say I'm very disappointed.

couldn't agree more !!

Comment

A little bit of guidance

Originally posted by bond21
                Hi,

I'm currently looking to get info on Contracting work as I know very little at the moment. Can anybody tell me the best way to go about working towards contract work, what I should do and where to start etc?

Also can anybody recommend agencies that can assist with all of the necessary paperwork and info on how the IR35 can affect things, as well as agencies that would provide work.

Thanks.
                First off you will find that clients want you to start quickly even if they take ages to make a decision. This may preclude you if you need to give 4 weeks notice.

In addition can I point you in the direction of this PDF

PCG Guide to Freelancing

There are guides to IR35, s660a and the Agency Regulations but you need to be a member.

Membership is a good move. For standard membership you are insured if the IR35 start an investigation. If you by the plus membership this insurance starts from the time the IR tell you they want to examine the books.

Details of membership can be found PCG membership benefits at a glance

You will find however that while some agencies are helpful with IR35 many are not. There are companies that will check you contract for you but this is a notoriously grey area to judge (and will involve documents you may not have seen and certainly did not agree to ).

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown
                  couldn't agree more !!
                  Sandy, shut up and get your baps out!
                  You cant go torturing us with descriptions of your bod and not showing us the pics.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                  X