• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working for the government

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working for the government

http://www.adamsmith.org/tax-freedom-day/

Tax Freedom Day 2008 falls on 2 June.

This means that for 155 days of the year, every penny earned by the average UK resident was taken to support government expenditures.

Government spending is set to reach £600 billion – £10,000 for person in the UK, and twice as much as in 1997.

If public spending had only grown in line with inflation since then, we could have abolished income tax, corporation tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax by now, leaving the taxpayer £200 billion better off.

When you factor in government borrowing the picture is even worse – Tax Freedom Day does not come until June 14.

Have fun working for the government.

That must be for average Joe permie - I wonder what day it is for the likes of us...
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I've worked on a government project in the past. They paid better than the private sector too.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        I've worked on a government project in the past. They paid better than the private sector too.
        I worked as a civil servant permie many moons ago - I've never spent so many afternoons in the pub and done so little work.

One time I even walked past some old badger's office and he was in there asleep on a camp bed
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

They should also factor in Govt borrowing as deferred taxation.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            If public spending had only grown in line with inflation since then, we could have abolished income tax, corporation tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax by now, leaving the taxpayer £200 billion better off.
            I wish I was that taxpayer.

Comment

I thought this would be a thread about spooks, as "working for the Government" is a euphemism used of themselves by MI5 agents (at least on telly, not sure about real life ..)

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
                I thought this would be a thread about spooks, as "working for the Government" is a euphemism used of themselves by MI5 agents (at least on telly, not sure about real life ..)
                My dad used to have a Marina. It was purple.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                  That must be for average Joe permie - I wonder what day it is for the likes of us...
                  If it is by tax year - then today

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
                    My dad used to have a Marina. It was purple.

Wasn't the carp newer model called the ITAL or something?

Thats a perfect car to abandon in a train station all day.
                    Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X