• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice on whether to go on training courses or retain cash for non-working periods?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on whether to go on training courses or retain cash for non-working periods?

Hi,

my grand plan (being new to contracting) is to use the surplus in the company accounts to continue paying my salary (and taking divs where possible) even when not working (~ 3months of the year).

I was thinking of going on some training courses but not if it conflicts with my first aim.

Is that a viable strategy or have I missed something?

Cheers

R

Go back to permiedom, it's the future for lots of us probably.

Otherwise, why not mix business with pleasure and go on a training course abroad where you may also feel it's a holiday during your time off? I've heard of some plush courses in India for a fraction of the UK price, with five star accommodation included. Not sure if the reality is as good as it sounds though.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Training

Companies that offer IT training say that during the good times they most have corporate clients and during the not-so-good there are always enough individuals (paying for themselves) to offset the loss. So atm people are going to invest in whatever they think will give them a better chance.

Comment

I have taught a lot of IT classes in specific product. Over five years must have trained between 600-800 or so individuals on week long classes.

While you can get a lot out of it I personally wouldn't fork out the the 1500 if it was my own money. With vmware, books (you can easily and illegaly get the pdfs for free) and some time then you can do most of that yourself.

It will be harder to do yourself so it depends how much 1500 quid means to you.

IT classes are mosty just part of the big illusion.

Comment

Working...
        X