• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone been cold called by welbeck?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone been cold called by welbeck?

I got called today - most at ClientCo have been - this link summarises it :-

http://www.structurednotes.co.uk/2007/05/cold_call.html

I've finally made it! My financial situation must be so healthy that I need a personal wealth manager to advise me on all my investments! I'm over the moon. I'm also being sarcastic...

This morning I received a phonecall on my work number from a trainee at Welbeck Group who introduced himself by his first name only (I'll spare him the embarassment of actually naming him). Maybe it's just me but when I'm working I usually like to share my first name AND last name with anyone I come into professional contact with. After all there are more than a few 'Pauls' in the world.

Prince or Madonna can usually get away with just one name, but us lesser known people - who have failed to become cultural idols - usually go by our first name and surname...I digress..

Welbeck, I was told, is a well known City institution and the trainee was shocked to learn I was unaware of the firm. He then launched into a rather complex rehearsed speech about some "innovative mortgage solution" that would help my taxes. I was asked if I owned a home and if so whether I had a mortgage. I declined to answer.

I then asked whether there were any other interesting investments and was told there were "plenty" to choose from. I was then asked what area I was interested in and replied that I have an interest in structured products. The trainee was delighted at the news and told me there are plenty of "innovative" products to choose from and offered to set me up with a free 45 minute consultation to discuss what Welbeck could do for me.

At this point I asked where Welbeck had got my info and the trainee could only suggest that it had something to do with "marketing." I then asked if Welbeck was FSA regulated. The trainee assured me that Welbeck is indeed FSA regulated. Then, due to a real and genuine concern about this chap's credentials, asked if he understood what a structured product was. Only at this point did the cold caller clam up. He had to admit that he was in the dark, depsite earlier telling me that there were plenty of "innovative" structured products to choose from.

If he doesn't know what they are how he can assign a value judgment to the investments? How did they get hold of my work phone number? Were they adhering to the basic principles of "know your customer"? So many questions so few answers...

All I do know is that I'm saddened by the call.

Welbeck may, or may not, be doing something questionable. But what is for certain is that my experience with the firm doesn't tally with the promise on its website that "whether you require personal or business advice, you have access to a wealth of experience through professional consultants who are experts in their field."

Then again, perhaps I should show a little bit of faith and call the trainnee back - you never know he may make me rich enough to buy that Little Red Corvette or allow me to invest in a few more Diamonds & Pearls. We are, after all, living in a material world...

I had a few similar calls a couple of years back.

They get your name by calling the main reception number and asking to be put through to Mr (insert typical British surname).

Comment

I would imagine its just bog standard campaign calling.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
        They get your name by calling the main reception number and asking to be put through to Mr (insert typical British surname).
        That is not going to work anymore.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
          I had a few similar calls a couple of years back.

Patel?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Patel?
            Did someone call?

Comment

funny ..samething happened to me

These guys called me as well ...

Back in 2006 at clientco ....

and again today

http://www.welbeckwealth.com/

Comment

Zombie Scam - its back or never went away - Welbeck Associates

FSA Announcement | Welbeck Group

FSA Announcement
                The FSA have published a warning in respect of an overseas Boiler-Room purporting to be part of the Welbeck Group of companies.

The name that the fraudsters have given their operation is Welbeck Associates – which is in fact the name of a real firm of chartered accountants based in the west end.
                By closely mimicking the name of a firm of chartered accountants and by providing potential victims with our address details (which can be found on the FSA website) the fraudsters are seeking to gain credibility by association.

If anyone has received a call or any request for information in respect of Welbeck Associates. Please contact the FSA on link below;

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/static/pages/d...associates.pdf

Comment

Working...
                X