• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HBOS may require Central Bank funding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HBOS may require Central Bank funding

'From the Goldman's brokers note published last week:

HBOS continues to fund but its profile is becoming more short term
    While Bradford & Bingley and Alliance and Leicester are smaller and have put in place funding vehicles to enable them to fund during 2008, HBOS needs to fund £164.1bn of maturing wholesale funding in 2008. This has been an area of concern for the stock especially with the term markets (securitisation, covered bond and EMTN) effectively being shut. We continue to believe that HBOS is able to readily secure funding as it has access not only to many funding sources across many geographies but also has access to the US Federal Reserve, ECB and Australian Central bank windows, however the shares are likely to remain susceptible to liquidity concerns. This concern is likely to ease if the BOE puts in place a liquidity environment more closely comparable to both the ECB and US Fed. Recent commentary suggests that the BOE is giving this more consideration than previously but nothing has yet been finalized. We note the following regarding HBOS’ current funding:
    • HBOS has £25.8 bn of term funding due to mature in 2008 – splitting out the wholesale funding due to mature in 2008, we estimate that £25.8 bn is term funding, which is slightly tilted towards 4Q in terms of maturity but overall is fairly even.
    • HBOS has raised £5.6 bn of public funding during 1Q08 – we estimate that HBOS has raised £5.6 bn public funding in 2008 so far. Excluding the £750 mn of non-equity Tier 1 raised, 80% of the funding raised has a term longer than 12 months and over 85% is LIBOR linked. This total funding raised broadly replaces the £5.4 bn that we estimate was due to mature in 1Q08.
    • Bank deposits (£31.6 bn) and non-retail deposits (£26.7 bn) account for nearly 40% of funding – we do not believe that HBOS should have any trouble rolling either of these. The first is obviously dependent on LIBOR, while the second is likely to be higher cost as banks compete for the excess liquidity in the system from non-retail customers.
    • Certificates of deposit (£63.1 bn) and commercial paper (£16.9 bn) account for nearly 50% of funding – the areas of greatest dependence for HBOS in terms of wholesale funding over the next 12 months are actually commercial paper and in particular certificates of deposit. Both of these are likely to remain dependent on sentiment but in view of HBOS’ diverse funding platform we do not believe it should have trouble rolling either of these. Pricing of both of these is linked to LIBOR.
    • Funding is all LIBOR linked and costs are increasing – while we believe HBOS is able to roll its funding, the cost continues to increase as it is all linked to LIBOR and spreads have begun to widen: HBOS’ new funding is being replaced on average at a 20 bp spread to LIBOR. We estimate that HBOS is likely to be hit by costs of at least £140 mn during 2008.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------'

So just why should HBOS be granted up to 164 Billion pounds central bank funding when Northern Rock was nationalised for daring to borrow 25 Billion pounds, 10 Billion pounds plus of which was directly as a result of the Bank of England initially refusing to lend to it, thus causing the bank run??!! As a Northern Rock shareholder this stinks of hypocrisy.

Thought that was one of these 'malicious rumours' by short sellers.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Halifax always give you extra, so fairs fair in return
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post

So just why should HBOS be granted up to 164 Billion pounds central bank
        If I'm interpreting this correctly, that isn't what the note is saying.

It's saying of the tulip loads of debt HBOS has maturing this year, most of it is linked to LIBOR so their profits will go down.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          Halifax always give you extra, so fairs fair in return

Maybe the BOE should send them a ditty accompanied with a dance routine by the most obnoxious employees they can find.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I wonder what is the quality of the HBOS mortgage debt? I thought they were quite a prudent lender?

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              If I'm interpreting this correctly, that isn't what the note is saying.

It's saying of the tulip loads of debt HBOS has maturing this year, most of it is linked to LIBOR so their profits will go down.

This is the key bit, which is raising concerns as to where they will get the 164 Billion funding:

'While Bradford & Bingley and Alliance and Leicester are smaller and have put in place funding vehicles to enable them to fund during 2008, HBOS needs to fund £164.1bn of maturing wholesale funding in 2008. This has been an area of concern for the stock especially with the term markets (securitisation, covered bond and EMTN) effectively being shut.'

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                This is the key bit, which is raising concerns as to where they will get the 164 Billion funding:

'While Bradford & Bingley and Alliance and Leicester are smaller and have put in place funding vehicles to enable them to fund during 2008, HBOS needs to fund £164.1bn of maturing wholesale funding in 2008. This has been an area of concern for the stock especially with the term markets (securitisation, covered bond and EMTN) effectively being shut.'
                Yes, then they go on to split it out into where they will get the money and say there's no issue ?
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I wonder what is the quality of the HBOS mortgage debt? I thought they were quite a prudent lender?
                  The have approx $7bn in exposure to US Alt-A (1 step above sub-prime) debt. This is still peanuts as they have $660bn in assets under management.

And Moscow Mule is correct in his analysis.

Comment

...by 140 mn.

Glad I don't have their shares, though one of my pension funds is owned by HBOS, so probably they'll plunder it, though they've made such a mess of it it couldn't down much further anyway.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X