• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Options for a UK Working Holiday (from Australia)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Options for a UK Working Holiday (from Australia)

As of July, I am intending on coming over from Australia and have a working holiday in the UK for a period of between 1-2 years. I have a UK passport, though I have never been to the UK before. I am not in the IT field, so perhaps I'm on the wrong forum, but it seems that the issues around contracting that I am researching are applicable to my situation. I will be looking for contract positions, via recruitment agencies, in the public sector in the area of policy development (most likely clients will be within the social housing sector, or related area, such as a central govt dept, local council or NGO).

Gauging positions / pay rates on my current level of experience, I would envisage winning positions around the 32-34 BPD pa mark (or 2,600-2,800 BPD per month, 16-17 BPD per hr). It is highly probably that I will be working within IR35, in that I would not meet the HMRC definition of 'self employed'.

I was initially attracted to the option of being employed via a PAYE Umbrella and being able to claim back some expenses, whilst not as tax effective as setting up my own Limited Company, would at least be better than being paid direct by the Recruitment Agency. I understand though that even falling within IR35, if I went the Limited option I would pay tax and NI on 95% of my contract rather than the 100% I would with an Umbrella.

Would appreciate some advice on what people think my best option in terms of Umbrella v Ltd (seems like an age old question I know) for my particular circumstances.

It's GBP, not BPD.

You've four options:

1. Umbrella
    2. Ltd co
    3. Temporary contract
    4. Agency temp

Which you use depends on the nature of your industry. In some sectors 3 is the norm, in others it's 4. IT and engineering typically 1 and 2. Ltd co is best if you can do it.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Danbro Accounting Ltd

Hi,

If you are on a working holiday VISA which it appear you are you wont be able to become a director of a Limited Company, newish rules.

So probably your best option will running through an Umbrella company.

Thanks

Neil
      Last edited by Danbro; 8 April 2008, 07:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbro View Post
        If you are on a working holiday VISA which it appears you are ...
        Pay attention at the back - he's got a UK passport.

Comment

Danbro

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Its a bit early sorry,

Thanks

Neil

Comment

But he/she doesn't state which sort.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
              But he/she doesn't state which sort.
              True - but I bet you thrupence ha'penny that it is a full British passport.

Comment

True - but I bet you thrupence ha'penny that it is a full British passport.
                Almost certainly, but they did say "never been to the UK before" so they were presumably born out of the UK in which case it is possible the birth was registered outside the UK and then whether it is full or not depends upon the parental nationality.

Comment

Thanks for the comments - I should've pointed out its a full UK passport (father was born in UK), so I'm a British Citizen (that's what it says in the passport anyway!).

I'm not sure how option 3 in the first post is distinguished as a seperate option in its own right from limited coy and umbrella? In other words, isn't it the fact that I would be undertaking 'temporary contracts' that would allow me to set up either as a limited coy or with a PAYE umbrella? Agency payroll would be the least tax effective from what I've read.

Comment

You would be entitled to the 5% deemed payment allowance if you use your own ltd but its not just an allowance, you have to have business costs of 5% in order to get the relief.

Your costs thru an Umbrella are unlikely to be 5% as typically their fees are £15 - £30 a week. Also you are anly paying for the services you are using so when you are between contracts (holidaying) there are no fees to pay. With your own ltd an accountant will charge for the year as end of year accounts will be required even if you only work 1 week of the year.

Also you have to purchase your insurances (proff indemnity etc). These will be included from your umbrella so only paying for what you use.

You should call a few to get quotes.

Comment

Working...
                    X