• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Immigration thread to re-balance the forum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immigration thread to re-balance the forum

Seeing as it's very lobsided with housing threads, thought I'd chuck this one on the heap.

Saw an interesting programme on Channel 4 last night, presented by Rageh Omar. Basically it went through various YouGuv poll results on immigration and got views from a cross-section of the public.

The interesting thing for me was that there was a clear majority across all races currently residing here that immigration was out of control and there has been far too many newcomers (mainly from the EU) in the last 5 or so years.

So at least the subject is opening up to proper debate without anyone who raises it being branded racist, as was the case when it was mainly the white population that were voicing their concerns.

The general resentment to immigration boils down to the scale and speed of changes to what people see as affecting their safe, stable way of life. The fact the Polish and fellow eastern europeans are now the focus proves it isn't a race issue in the traditional sense, more a cultural difference one.

e.g. the belief that in England people should speak english. Where as abroad the english will still want to speak english.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

On the subject of Poles not many people these days remember that they were welcomed with open arms into this country after WW2.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
      On the subject of Poles not many people these days remember that they were welcomed with open arms into this country after WW2.
      There's at least 4 or 5 members of this board who remember that
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post

Today it's not who they are or where they're from, it's the huge numbers. This island is too small and it's being swamped.

Only 8 years ago I was amazed how quieter it was driving around France and Spain compared to the UK, and it's probably even more noticable today. You could go for many miles without seeing a town or significant population. Here it's getting so all the towns are becoming linked.

As the saying goes "good fences make good neighbours". As a species we don't like being over crowded, so it's bound to lead to tension and depression.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          Seeing as it's very lobsided with housing threads, thought I'd chuck this one on the heap.

Saw an interesting programme on Channel 4 last night, presented by Rageh Omar. Basically it went through various YouGuv poll results on immigration and got views from a cross-section of the public.

The interesting thing for me was that there was a clear majority across all races currently residing here that immigration was out of control and there has been far too many newcomers (mainly from the EU) in the last 5 or so years.

So at least the subject is opening up to proper debate without anyone who raises it being branded racist, as was the case when it was mainly the white population that were voicing their concerns.

The general resentment to immigration boils down to the scale and speed of changes to what people see as affecting their safe, stable way of life. The fact the Polish and fellow eastern europeans are now the focus proves it isn't a race issue in the traditional sense, more a cultural difference one.

e.g. the belief that in England people should speak english. Where as abroad the english will still want to speak english.
          It always makes me laugh when some bloke in a turban is ranting on about "bloody foreigners coming to the UK. We don't want them here, too many immigrants can't speak english.."

Reminds me of some Spike Milligan sketch from the non-PC 70's

Comment

2 different subjects. The arrival of people from the EU does not constitute "immigration", it is internal movement, just as if someone from Yorkshire moves to London, or a Londoner moves to Dorset.

These are citizens moving freely from one part of their area of citizenship to another. Yes, they are EU citizens: that is the important polity and the important citizenship now.

That is firmly embedded in what the EU is. If you didn't want that, you shouldn't have joined the EU.

Comment

As the saying goes "good fences make good neighbours". As a species we don't like being over crowded, so it's bound to lead to tension and depression.

So its like working then .....

Generally though I agree with you, it's got nothing to do with race its simple maths, we just don't have the space, schools are over crowded, waiting lists are on the way back up at hospital despite the extra cash, with an extra X' thousand people a year in the country it's no surprise.
              Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                2 different subjects. The arrival of people from the EU does not constitute "immigration", it is internal movement, just as if someone from Yorkshire moves to London, or a Londoner moves to Dorset.

These are citizens moving freely from one part of their area of citizenship to another. Yes, they are EU citizens: that is the important polity and the important citizenship now.

That is firmly embedded in what the EU is. If you didn't want that, you shouldn't have joined the EU.
                Don't be silly, expat. People from Yorkshire can't afford to move to London.
                Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Today it's not who they are or where they're from, it's the huge numbers. This island is too small and it's being swamped.

London

Only 8 years ago I was amazed how quieter it was driving around France and Spain compared to the UK, and it's probably even more noticable today. You could go for many miles without seeing a town or significant population. Here it's getting so all the towns are becoming linked.
                  Try visiting Scotland or - closer to home - Cambridgeshire. Plenty of quiet open space there.

Comment

Girlfriend Chef is an Immigrant, she is Lithuanian, moved over here to improve her career in hotel management before the big hitters in worldwide hotel chains get serious following Lithuania's impending boost in tourism from joining the EU. At which point she has the doorway open to a far better career back in her home town if she wishes or she may just continue up the ladder where she is now.

She has a degree and a masters, she pays her taxes and bills promptly, has private healthcare as she doesnt trust any state healthcare anywhere, she beat several rounds of other interviewee's to get the job and works a lot harder than others in her position.

Yes she's an immigrant, but what's wrong with her being here and working?
                    isnt she simply helping to improve the british economy slightly?
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X