• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SE Asia (Thailand) question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SE Asia (Thailand) question

Guys,

Gonna have 12 days in Thailand, on way to aus late october/early november. Looking for an island (or two) suggestion good for a family (2 year old and 6 month old) for me and the missus, we've done plenty of travelling and roughing it so not too precious about needing all the best facilities and prefer off the beaten track as much as possible.

Anyone got any suggestions - open to catch a flight to some other SE asian country when we're there. Also what's best for rainy season - believe we may catch the tail end of it in some parts.

Cheers.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Fly via San Francisco and visit alcatraz. It's an island innit?

Comment

Not sure about your reqs

How are you going to 'rough it' with a 6/m and a 2 y/o ?
      Trekking in Tailand is OK for singles/couples but not so sure about families. If I were you, I'd have booked a stopover in either Singapore and go over to Sentosa Island or KL and go over to Langkawi. Both cities can keep you busy for 2-3 days plus 7 days in a resort.
      You sound like an old hippie, so maybe you should go over to Vietnam or Cambodia and offer your apologies to the Vietkong.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
        How are you going to 'rough it' with a 6/m and a 2 y/o ?
        Trekking in Tailand is OK for singles/couples but not so sure about families. If I were you, I'd have booked a stopover in either Singapore and go over to Sentosa Island or KL and go over to Langkawi. Both cities can keep you busy for 2-3 days plus 7 days in a resort.
        You sound like an old hippie, so maybe you should go over to Vietnam or Cambodia and offer your apologies to the Vietkong.
        Guess I should be clearer (And know better). We can rough it easily with kids, we've done it already - we don't need 5 star hotels, air con and a swimming pool. And I'm not after trekking - done more than enough of that, just a beach, a hut or bungalow with a fan and somewhere that sells cold beers.

Kids don't stop you, they just change things slightly and having them doesn't have to stop you trying to discover places slightly off the beaten track. You can keep visiting your resorts, I'll pass - not my bag. Though we're visiting Singapore on the way back for a few days.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Can you give a 6 month old malarone?
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Can you give a 6 month old malarone?
            Malaria common in Thailand is it?

Comment

Snaw is one of them liberal hand wringing sorts looking for a "fair trade" holiday in a straw hut where he can help the locals whilst experiencing a "cultural exchange".

This is a contractor board. We all travel 1st class, in stretched limos, to our 5 star hotels, where we shout at the hotel staff because we want Evian in our bathwater and petals on our pillows.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Snaw is one of them liberal hand wringing sorts looking for a "fair trade" holiday in a straw hut where he can help the locals whilst experiencing a "cultural exchange".

This is a contractor board. We all travel 1st class, in stretched limos, to our 5 star hotels, where we shout at the hotel staff because we want Evian in our bathwater and petals on our pillows.
                Funny, I know a tonne of contractors who get into this game precisely because it gives them the flexibility to take time out from the grind. Me included.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                  Malaria common in Thailand is it?
                  I thought it was, but I've never been so I'm not sure.

My brother just set off for that region and he had some anti-malarials with him.

http://www.traveldoctor.info/images/...hailand_oa.gif
                  Last edited by Moscow Mule; 8 April 2008, 12:06. Reason: Found a picture
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Ko Chang sounds perfect for what you need, 5hrs by air con bus SE of Bangkok or you could fly if you wish.

White Sands, Huts, Crystal Clear Water, not busy with the "full moon party" crowd you get on the southern thai islands. idyllic.

http://www.koh-chang.com/beach.html
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X