• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting and Property Market similarities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting and Property Market similarities

I am prompted by the large no of threads about property ups-and-downs and also by the huge amount of newbies posting here and asking if contracting is right for them.
    Enter the property market when it's up and you can make decent money, do it when it's down and you'll lose. Same with the contract market.
    I'd say it's all about timing, like most things in life. You've got to do things because YOU want (or need) to, not because a lot of other people do the same. It's OK to jump on the bandwagon as it gathers speed (when a few people are on it), but not as it starts to slow down (when it's full).

These newcomers are often the anti-contracting permies who were jealous all along but wouldn't admit it.

Either that, or they're not! Hah. Flame me now, contrarians!
    When you encounter speed humps, sound your horn in protest.

Comment

Agree

Once a permie, always a permie, I'd say. It's not that they can't hack it (some of them are just as good), it's the permie mentality that is 'embedded' in their heads.

Comment

There's alot more to contracting than just 'getting loadsa dosh'....

It means you have to think for yourself, act like a 'proper business', perhaps travel hundreds of miles to find customers and have meetings to bid for business.

Be prepared for bad times, self fund training, allow for holidays and sickness.

The rewards are good but you shouldn't get into contracting just on the material benefits alone.

It's something that should not be taken lightly...

T

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
          I am prompted by the large no of threads about property ups-and-downs and also by the huge amount of newbies posting here and asking if contracting is right for them.
          Enter the property market when it's up and you can make decent money, do it when it's down and you'll lose. Same with the contract market.
          I'd say it's all about timing, like most things in life. You've got to do things because YOU want (or need) to, not because a lot of other people do the same. It's OK to jump on the bandwagon as it gathers speed (when a few people are on it), but not as it starts to slow down (when it's full).
          But the propert market only goes down occasionally - unlike contracting where you get 7 good years followed by 3 rubbish years.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
            Once a permie, always a permie, I'd say. It's not that they can't hack it (some of them are just as good), it's the permie mentality that is 'embedded' in their heads.
            Yes and that sickening self-righteousness. Not to mention the same old circular arguments about tax. The growing frustration in their voice when you floor their unconsidered opinions with good reasoning...
            When you encounter speed humps, sound your horn in protest.

Comment

What property downturn ?

Shirly shoom mishtake ?

Halifax said prices in Scotland were 5.3 per cent higher in the first quarter ...

Comment

I've been contracting for many years and I find it a right laugh. Trained seals could do it.
                Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by beercohol View Post
                  Yes and that sickening self-righteousness. Not to mention the same old circular arguments about tax. The growing frustration in their voice when you floor their unconsidered opinions with good reasoning...
                  The do-gooders are the thieves of virtue

Best strategy is to explain that youve been stung for a massive amount of alimony and all your dosh is going to a gold digger ... that will leave them with a sense of smug satisfaction.

Comment

Not so sure

Works out as a sort of a 7/y wheel turn (good to bad)
                    Property up: 1985-90 - Property down: 1990-1999
                    Property up: 1999-2008 - Prop. down: 2008-2013 (?)
                    Contracting good: 1996-2001 - Contr. bad: 2001-03
                    Contracting good: 2003-2008 - Contr. bad: 2008-10 (?)

Comment

Working...
                    X