• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Prince2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prince2

How long does it take to get a qualification in this area, is it worth doing?

Thanks/

Originally posted by HRH View Post
    How long does it take to get a qualification in this area, is it worth doing?

Thanks/
    As a developer , I hate prince and all of its manifestations, but I know a few PM's who have made a very profitable career out of it

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      As a developer , I hate prince and all of its manifestations, but I know a few PM's who have made a very profitable career out of it

Is it just a project management process? I have been offered a perm role as a junior PM where I would get this qualification/training.

Comment

Is it just a project management process? I have been offered a perm role as a junior PM where I would get this qualification/training.
        i'm planning on doing this later this year. Whether it is used or not it's good to have on CV. I intend on doing the course work myself and then just taking the exam when i'm ready.
        Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

It's a project management method, a sort of philosophy that comes with some tools. The idea is to concentrate on the business needs.

To me its a total nightmare because it lets in all the know nothing bull sh itt ers, who can get away with murder because the 'have Prince'.

E.G two contracts ago I was asked to rewrite a legacy system (access => SQL server) , I estimated twelve weeks. They brought a PM over , his response was that a developer had no right to glibly predict 12 weeks, they should use Prince or it would be a disaster. He said in the meeting, 'Look, we used Prince on the Spine, the biggest IT project the world has ever seen'

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            It's a project management method, a sort of philosophy that comes with some tools. The idea is to concentrate on the business needs.

To me its a total nightmare because it lets in all the know nothing bull sh itt ers, who can get away with murder because the 'have Prince'.

E.G two contracts ago I was asked to rewrite a legacy system (access => SQL server) , I estimated twelve weeks. They brought a PM over , his response was that a developer had no right to glibly predict 12 weeks, they should use Prince or it would be a disaster. He said in the meeting, 'Look, we used Prince on the Spine, the biggest IT project the world has ever seen'

WHS.

I've worked in Prince environments (where it wasn't implemented correclty and was therefore a buracratic nightmare) so can put that onto my CV. The search tools that the agencies use pick it up, and if asked, I say I've got relevant experience rather than qualifications. That seems to work for me.
            At my last interview, the Head of IT was laughing at the tulip contract PMs that had walked through his door with a qualification but no real experience.
            If you've got no experience, it may help to get you through the door though, so probably worth looking at.
            If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

It really is a CV thing, gets you to more interviews. The best PM's tend to be able to pick elements from a methodology and apply the relevant ones to the project without swamping the project with process and paperwork.

The foundation level of Prince II is dead easy, get the book, read it , take the exam - it's multi choice and took me 35 mins to complete.

The practitioner takes a bit more effort and you need to use a project you are/have been working on in your studies.

Depends what roles you are going for as to which to get. But get the foundation anyway - then decide.
              Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
                It really is a CV thing, gets you to more interviews...

The foundation level of Prince II is dead easy, get the book, read it , take the exam - it's multi choice and took me 35 mins to complete.
                Sounds good. What book, and where do you take the exam (on the cheap)?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Sounds good. What book, and where do you take the exam (on the cheap)?
                  PCG members used to get discount at Maven Training

Comment

Got Prince2 Foundation and it really was quite easy.

The Practitioner course is a 3-day intensive effort and then the exam.

Not sure whether it's useful in RL but the last big project I used it on it made the whole thing easier to manage because it can help with multi-site, multi-system projects.
                    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Working...
                    X